My family always asks me if I like my job and I always respond with a resounding YES. The boss is great...just today I had the day off but went in anyway to do a thing or two because it was too cold to fish. She calls me and is bowed up with a situation and I'm glad to stay and help several hours longer than I planned. That kind of stuff happens pretty regularly. But at the same time, when the deadlines have been met, there is some flexibility. Often times that corresponds to weekdays or when the water is just coming in. I honestly get paid more than what I probably should. Good benefits and I really enjoy the work even though I'm not great at it. I have more finanical responsibility than I probably should but so far haven't done anything to lose that responsibility. Been there 10 years and see no real reason to want to leave...unless it was doing similar work for similar wage in BC. We are lucky to be able to have the wife be a stay-at-home mom. Every year I struggle to take off enough time to meet my mandatory vacation hours. All in all, I have absolutely no complaints. Since I'm married with a family, I wouldn't change anything. If I were single, then I'd want to work in AK in the summer and then take the fall off to steelhead fish and guide in the spring and winter. Yeah, that would be OK too.

Just read Parker's previous post, which led me to Twitch's post.

Twitch that was some story. Fish bio jobs are hard to come buy. Almost need an advanced degree or be willing to tough it out for a long time. I stuck with it for about 4 years, caught a break, paid my dues and then work paid for me to go back to grad school. I got lucky I guess. Yep, lots to be thankful for...like the job in this economy, a goood family, and not being a cooger.

Edited by DaveD (11/24/10 11:38 PM)