With a little bit of looking it seems like you can usually get the good hooks (1/0-3/0) for .18 to .20 a piece, as compared to .08 to .10 for the lesser models. Gami's for $200 & change for a 1000 pack, Owners a bit more, Matzuo a bit less. I guess that for the difference in quality and performance, I consider the cost difference negligible. Especially spread over a large quantity. Don't get me wrong, every dime still makes a difference to my limited budget as well.

Rods and reels are in a different category. It is hard argue from a "quality of experience" standpoint when talking hooks. Granted, landing more fish, generally speaking, would be considered a higher quality experience for most. But what rod is in your hand and how well your reel functions definitely plays a big part in how much I enjoy a day of fishing. Yes of course you can catch as many or more fish with lower end rods and reels. "Success" on that level is primarily a product of the fisherman, not the gear he is using. Most that fish higher end rods and reels do so because they enjoy fishing them more and because using nice equipment leads to a higher quality experience, not because they think they will hook and land more fish with expensive gear rather than cheap.

EZ Thread Yarn Balls

"I don't care how you catch them, as long as you treat them well and with respect." Lani Waller in "A Steelheader's Way."