When it all comes down to it... Bait with a jig outfishes jigs without bait... Winterruns especially and Summeruns a close second... Although summerruns tend to be a bit more of that "over-achiever" type they will get aggressive at anything in there immediate sight assuming they're virgin fish and not spooked....

Here's my take on jigs based on my observations... Jigs are a great tool for a fisherman to effectively cover average to intermediate holding water.... To me, average to immediate holding water is that of the "gut of the run to the tailout"... It's water where 65% of steelhead lay. More or less when you fish a hole you can effectively present a jig in 65% of the water you cast to....

As you fish these holes your percentage of strikes rise as you fish that "gut of the run or tailout" based on the presentation of the jig...

But to me, as you fish that 35% of the water that's challenging to present a jig (The headwater or seams that are a bit deeper or quicker) you stand better odds to hook the fish laying there with bait involved.... From my observations, a steelhead will react to a "properly" presented jig fairly well in that 65% type water but as you fish that faster water their nose becomes a priority as well. It assists them with making that split decision to chase down the offering and strike it.

A great example is comparing the jig fisherman to the bait drift fisherman. A bait drift fisherman will destroy a jig guy in faster type waters and moderately outfish them in standard holding waters and tailouts...

Just my observations, hope that helps...

Keith