Originally Posted By: 2MANY
Are we talking chainsaws???? Do they really make outboards that small??? Come on folks if it's a jet on a boat over 14' then it needs to be a motor in the triple didgets unless it's just you and your lap dog in the boat everyday. If your worried about the weight of motor vs boat size ....then go with a 2 stroke. If you have never had a four stroke and still believe that you need a 2 stroke because 4 strokes come out of the hole to slowly...then buy a 2 stroke. If you like to mix your oil prior to baiting your hooks....then buy a 2 stroke. If you trust oil injection on a ticking time bomb...then buy a 2 stroke. If you have a 4 stroke kicker but like having a motor that can't run on straight fuel...then buy a 2 stroke. If you want to spend less money .....then buy a 2 stroke. If you want the old lady on the Wynoochie to come out and sling lead at you when your fishing next to her house......then buy a 2 stroke. If you enjoy changing spark plugs.....then buy a 2 stroke. If you want a shorter engine life.....then buy a 2 stroke. If you want to become a master at starting moody motors...then buy a 2 stroke. If you want todays top of the line fishing motor buy a 4 stroke.

Your third statement is laughable. But maybe that was your objective. Anyways, If I were you Drifter I would find a "new" older two stroke laying around a dealer's inventory. Last year I found a new 2006 merc 90/60 for an awesome price east of the mountains at a dealer. I don't think the e-tecs have been around long enough for anyone to really have a representative example of their durability. I had an etec and it was powerful but I absolutely hated the tiller handle. My buddy had an etec and it blew up in two years. Whether it be a yami or a merc I don't know. I have a merc and its been good so far. But I feel more comfortable with a Yamaha.

All this talk about bigger motors might be a little silly. Mainly because where drifter fishes, at least in the past there was talk about a motor size ban in at least one of the rivers he frequents.

Good luck Drifter.

Edited by djsmith46 (02/19/11 12:47 PM)
Edit Reason: mistake