Originally Posted By: gweed'O'#1
Caught this one plunking in the CR last june opener....I say he was at least 50lbs....The guy behind me tryed measuring him before he swam off and only got the length....He said it was around 51-52ish in length....girth...round like a tuna.......Orygun 50.. whistle

A genuine 51-52" defintiely puts you in the 50+ club.

There's a saying in the steelhead world... if it ain't 40, it probably ain't 20. In my brain, I have a ballpark reference of 4 ft = 50+. One of these days on my black barge, I'm hoping that locus of my visual cortex is finally gonna light up. Just hope I don't suffer a seizure or blow a head gasket when it does! And you can bet it's going back to make more of its kind.

FYI from personal observations of Kenai fish with typical 3 x 5-ish proportions, it's gotta be over

47" fork length to break 50....
50" fork length to break 60....
52" fork length to break 70....
54" fork length to break 80....

Seems there are lots of strains of OR/WA salmon with fat stumpy physiques that would skew those minimum lengths downward by an inch or two. Whites and tules come quickly to mind.

OK enough time daydreaming.... time to go pluck a piece of metal out of some little kid's eye.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!