Both sides have good points here.
While I dont think man can create a better fish than ma' nature can, I don't think that was the intent of the guides association when they started this program. Wasnt it a program intended to increase the number of harvestable fish in the system...and to do it with the best stock available........ which is fish native to the system? I would say that the program was a success based on those merits. While there is no data saying the program has been detrimental to the native stock in the Sol Duc, Todd is right that there has not been much/any effort to monitor the effects of the program and collect/analyze genetic data, and in almost every case it has been studied, putting fish into a hatchery has detrimental genetic effects to the natural population.
It may be that the Sol Duc and its steelhead are heatlhy enough to absorb the impacts of the Snider program. Observations from people on the water almost every day seem to indicate plenty of Snider fish around, and the Quillayute system continues to hold its own on escapement, despite mankinds best attempts at whacking on them.

Hatcheries and the fish produced in them don't do a good/cost effective job replacing wild stocks in good habitat; they do, in most cases and average survival rates, provide a considerable amount of fish for harvest or return.
What is the first tool that is utilized by virtually all management agencies to attempt to recover an endangered stock????
Yep, its a hatchery.

Modern civilized society and its associated footprint on the landscape will continue to make the hatchery the main tool used to provide harvestable or returning fish, and in cases of endangered runs of fish, enhance them before they are extirpated. Society has made big choices in Puget Sound and the West Coast in general, to the detriment of most native fish populations.

Since the Sol Duc remains some of the best, most productive habitat on the coast, it is hard to argue with the WSMZ concept that WDFW adopted. It will be interesting to see what happens if the program is started in the Bogey.