Originally Posted By: stam
So, I guess there really is more to fishing than just a fish pole and a worm.

Sounds like this is a case of how thing pencil out against how things actually play out... not that it matters, but.. I'm going to stay in the "if it's fixed don't break it" camp.

Anybody want to take bets on the Bogi broodstock program ever getting up and running? I'm betting against it.

It will get up and running. Since the Bogi has very, very few returning early wild fish, they will start to harvest later returning fish. While they do that, the tribes will continue netting heavily on the Quil just below the Sol Duc confluence intercepting the hatchery fish returning to the Bogi. This will mean a substantial influence on the early wild 'Duc fish. No big deal, 'cause then they'll just net later in the season below the 'Duc trying to "remove" these broodstock/bananas from the Bogi (without substantiated monitoring) which will remove more of the later returning wild fish from the entire system.

Seems reasonable to me. In the past 15 years fishing the 'Duc, it does seem the early run has improved. Not to mention, people on the water almost every day have logged an improvement also. How can certain guides catch 70 Sniders a year, yet the tribes only report 30+? And, with those 70 Sniders are hundreds of wild fish caught by sportfishers by a single guide alone? Why would a "Native Steelhead Fishing Pro" even bother fishing such a diluted strain of fish as those on the 'Duc?

Ya, I know, the science says it can't be so. I'll take the information from people who are on the water almost every day as opposed to those who think they have the "science" to squelch all other voices.