"For hunters, it doesn't pay to educate or give reports. Hunters are much less likely than say fisherman, to offer help and often will jealously guard hunting land because it is a precious commodity. By offering reports/educating what you get are more hunters in your area, which I think is counterproductive. Which is why I never, ever say where exactly I hunt and will not even mention areas that have the best hunting. And I don't give weekend reports unless they're unfavorable.

I'll offer some in the education department, but IMO, everyone should track down an older crew of hunters to learn by.

Selfish? YEP!! And that's fine with me. What do I know, anyway? LOL

beathead

So, no one ever taught you anything? Gave you tips/techniques, told you some good area to get you started?

If we all take the stance that if you don't know, then I am not going to tell you, then our sport goes no where for very long.

I believe in sharing what I know. I may not tell them the exact area I found animals, but I will share what knowledge I can.

I know there are other hunters out there who feel the same. Dogfish has shown this attitude many times over. That is the kind of hunter we need more of around here!

You do not need to give exact details, but to share the knowledge and help another become a better hunter, a more educated hunter is what I feel to be the right thing to do. I also agree that they should seek out this help and advice, but if they do not know it is wrong and no one points them in the right direction, then how do they learn?