I have an acquaintance who was coming back from Blue Dot (42miles form Neah Bay) in his 22ft Wooldridge, they were hit with a rogue wave and the boat went down inside a minute. The were 12 miles offshore in water so rough they were unable to hang onto their coolers, did mange to get the PFD's on but were swimming for their lives. A buddy boat who was following picked them up, and Dave is alive to tell the tale. They lost all their gear, though.

If you're going offshore, open bow has some serious downside! I see in your OP that it will be used in Puget Sound----unless you're talking the Strait, either of the 2 boats you mention will be adequate. Having a bimimi or canvas top will mean you'll be much more comfortable from October to May, Bushbear makes some great points on safety and comfort. I've been in the shipping lanes north of Freshwater Bay in a 14ft Livingston, but I was young and foolish!