Originally Posted By: Keta
Originally Posted By: Nor Cal Drifter
Keta -

Don't sweat the upgrades on an e7. They are a great reel right out of the box and really need no upgrade. If the Dartsnium drag eventually wears out, I would replace with the same stock drag, but you could also go with carbontex. Bearing upgrade is really not necessary and there is much debate as to whether or not it even improves performance. Spool upgrades? Never heard of anyone upgrading the spool on an e7. Bottom line, the e7 is a high performance reel without any mods. The only guys doing so are what are called "tuners," they're the guys that tweak their reels for fun just to see how far they can push the envelope of performance. Nothing they do is really necessary - it's just a hobby for them.

Ya, I'm not going to mess with it unless it breaks. I've had this E7 for a couple of years and it has been worked hard with zero problems.

What is the difference between Dartanium and carbontex?

I've been a bit skeptical of bearing upgrades in these reels. I don't see the point of "better" bearings when you end up tightening the end play and adjusting the VBS to slow them down for over run control. Maybe I'm missing something here. One thing that I see with the spool that I don't really like is the holes that can potentially let water seep into the internal mechanism. I guess that's a trade off for a lighter spool with better casting ability.

One more question, where do you buy the "upgrade" parts like the carbotex drag washers?

Get Carbontex (and drag grease) from SmooothDrag online.