Originally Posted By: Sky-Guy
Sorry, There isn't a best Smoked Skank recipe. Next question please........ cool

Damn foodies. They all think they can cook, but when called upon to actually display some talent or information, all they can do is balk and bark. Whatever. Go back to watching the Food Network and cooking up your Copper River King on your $5567.98 BBQ, ya poser. wink

I have never tried to smoke a pink, but I have had horrible luck with sockeyes, and as you pointed out, probably has everything to do with their natural oils, etc.

Instead of trying to track down a different brine, I think I'd look in to the science of the fish and the brine ingredients. IE, does a pink salmon prefer a brine that his higher/lower in salts or higher/lower in sugars.

Food science!

If you can pinpoint that information down, you could take your favorite brine recipe and tweak the ratio of sugar/salt and make it more appropriate for a pink.

If you end up doing the research and find out some answers, post it here for us. I'd be curious to know as I bet you COULD tailer make a brine specific for a pink salmon.

Not that I personally would try it, but I won't judge others who do. Besides, it COULD be useful information. Could.......

PS. This thread will be HEAVILY monitored and probably moderated....beyond Sky-Foodie's remarks. Just saying.