It definitely is not a mammal as it never comes up for air. It is big and cruises. I think I have a picture somewhere of an aluminum boat running after it. It came past us and later came by going the other way. These are long runs and not slow. I know of about 4 times minimum that guys have hooked into it. Spud was killing himself trying to figure out how to land it or atleast get to see it. Big skates dont dive back down like halibut do.

It is in rock piles when hooked. My guess is a six gill as it has so much power. A fouled hooked fish is not really possible as its hooked in the same area every year or two. It takes them for a very long run. I think its the same behemoth every time.

Every angler that hooks it is changed forever trying to figure out how to land it and what it is. I dont feel that anyone that hooks it ever has any control of it. They are not working it up to the surface but it stays down and takes off.

What I have for a screenshot, was very very big.. First time I have ever heard it mentioned since I saw it on my screen.

If it was a sturgeon hooked in the mouth it would eventually come up. This doesn't.
Join the Puget Sound Anglers Sno-King Chapter. Meets second Thursday of every month at the SCS Center, 220 Railroad Ave. Edmonds, WA 98020 at 6:30pm Two buildings south of the Edmonds Ferry on the beach.