Originally Posted By: parker
It's not a miss when the buck does a 360 ass-over-tea kettle flip after getting hammered in the neck. It just wasn't a kill shot. wink

Oh, you probably killed it, albeit slowly. If one takes a poke at a deer with a 300WM, and it is not recovered after diligent effort, then they missed. wink

Originally Posted By: parker
While I have a little bit of a clue when it comes to fishing, not so much when it comes to hunting. I do want to learn more, though....and am always trying to learn as I go.

Shooting 101: Slipping one through the CNS/CPS intersections at the shoulder from abeam or the bow end will always pull the e-brake on any subsequent sprints. Study on this.

Since there are no bench rests in the field, I've used trees, logs, door jambs, shooting sticks, sat on my arse with elbows on leg bones, and the handy pack throw down to seal the deal. In more than 4 decades, I have only taken 2 off hand running shots on deer and elk, only because they were close and both were done in one. Practice quickly getting into a stable shooting position when afield. Watch what your crosshairs are doing at different positions and distances. Because of the vertical I typically traverse in a day and their propensity to hang up on flora, I don't use bipods on a hunting rifle. Rather, deploy a good set of shooting sticks when you sit and watch for a spell, allowing for elbow on leg bone contact to stabilize the aft end of the stock.

Ethics 101: I've let a good number of deer and elk walk when I didn't have a good shot or shooting position to confidently drop the hammer. Afield, I have found both the breathing and deceased remnants of someone's ineptitude. Use paper to target practice. Shoot coyotes, don't feed them.

Good luck in your relationship with Bambi. May The Force be with you this hunting season....