I'd like to take the same stand as Todd and say that everyone who wants to eat salmon should have to go outside and catch it. I think the trouble is that salmon are so well-established as a market staple that the only thing that will get them out of stores would be the runs being wiped out to the extent that most of our wild game were before commercial hunting was outlawed. In other words, when there's nothing left to sell, they'll quit selling it.

As long as we're stuck with hatcheries, we might as well turn their operations over to the sector that benefits from them most (the commercial). That way, the financial burden of supplying product for their own markets will fall on them, which is the way it works in just about every other free market enterprise I can think of. I was thinking the other day about the fact that the citizens in the salmon-producing states pay for the salmon the entire world eats through our tax dollars and license fees. Put another way, we're paying so that people in New York can have access to salmon. Rubs me a little wrong. I say locating hatcheries away from areas where mixed stocks are common, putting the production burden on those who profit, and ending open ocean commercial fisheries is what's right for everyone involved (including the wild salmon). The ones who have the money to invest in change won't do it, but they'll spend as much as is needed to maintain the status quo. Sad, but typical of how big business operates.