I bought an Anova sous vide cooker after contemplating various options. The Anova can be used in almost any large pot or tub. It clamps on to the lip of the pot/tub.

If you've researched models, you'll notice that there are several ways to go. There are the Sous Vide Supreme type of models that have everything in one complete package. They seems like great, complete packages with the downsides being cost and the space required to store the thing. Then there are completely modular parts that can be hooked together. For example, a separate heating element, circulator, and thermometer. A large part of the cost is the temperature regulation. The goal is to stick a temperature and then have the technology keep it there without large fluctuation.

As far as results, I'd say that it is a GREAT way to cook steaks. You still need a red hot cast iron pan or a torch to brown the meat after the sous vide process but that is easy. Results with chicken and fish have been less impressive but still great. One of the huge benefits sous vide gives is the flexibility with time. It is much more difficult to overcook something because you simply hold the temp and meat just won't "cook" more (a slight generalization but accurate enough). I suspect this is why so many restaurants are using the technique. It makes execution easier and faster when a place can have steaks that are ready to go all night and simply need a sear to brown them. I'd really like to hear other PP'ers experiences and recipes.