WDR- In regards to setups for kings, I believe strongly that herring is always better than plugs or hoochies, if your willing to put up with the hassels of baiting up and dealing with the dogs. This year, my best success has been with xtra large blue pack cut plug herring, 60" plus leaders, old style chrome dodgers, trolled dead slow. Thread the back hook just forward of the tail with the shank buried and the with curve of hook coming out at right angles to the side of the bait, this gets most of the short biters but reduces the number of shakers commonly caught with the back hook trailing free.

I have tried hot spots flashers in glow green with a shorter leader/herring combo and have also had good luck on this. In the shallower water of the Inlet where the fish may be spookier and are starting to develop lockjaw, leaving the dodgers off and pulling plain herring on the riggers with xtra (~50')line off the clip might be the ticket.
With the north wind blowing up today, I'll probably try the Inlet tonight and will post a report tomorrow.