SEACAT69

All of our fish had been top water fish above twnety five feet and in the mornig. As I understand, fish hign in the morning. The deepest fish was forty-four feet. I have a 25ft Formula mid cabin with twin 190 I/O's. I troll pretty fast so I assume my depth is five feet to seven feet less than what the meter says. I had caught a fish with the meter reading 17 and it was a shorty but fat chinook. The water in the bay is on average of 50 to 60 feet with the exception of the 140 hole in the middle. All fish had been caught near the barges with a bottom depth of 45 to 60 depending on tide. Our gear had origianally been set for coho with short leaders thinking we would pick up the cohos for the first week or so. The leaders should be much longer at least 60" That is what we will be running now since the chinook are coming in greater numbers. My comment earlier is that I was geared wrong - more towards coho. Fish a plug that rolls slow and troll slow and use a big spoon too if you have one. I have been doing pretty good, but I culd have done better if I used longer leadsers initially with herring. Make sure you net on the side of your boat and not behind, the water coming off your prop give the fish a feeling of running a river and will dive forward under your boat and net from behind. I have heard that the net will apeat to be a large predater to the fish and he will bail - I thought that was garbage, but like I said we lost a few and a couple were at the netting phase and the others the fish ran forward to the back of the boat and I couldn't reel fast enough. Please remember that this is how I have been fishing and my methods are not always the most successful. Listen to what others have to offer as well. I do alright, but they may be somethng better out there.