The Satsop got hammered over the weekend.

I figure pretty much every fish in the river got touched a time or two by the end of the day yesterday. I had a highlight over the weekend losing one of the biggest hens I have hooked in years. It was a chrome ripper, built like a tank (reminded me of a February Skok fish if any of you got to experience them back when) and spit my hook on the 5th jump. What an awesome fish.

Elkman saw it, he can attest.

Stormy's new channel is a mess. WDFW does not like to allow rip rap or rocks to be put in the river, but the proximity to the back porch pretty much takes most options off the table. I'm guessing it will be a busy summer down there.

As a matter of fact the whole lower Satsop is a mess. Over the last 10 years, worse in the last 5, the river has swallowed up huge portions of the older timber on the margins. Exposing the river to the edges of farmers grass or other crop fields. Without any structure to the soil, all there is left is loose silts over gravel that erode very fast. This just flattened out most of the good old holes and what we are left with is a river that is only good to side drift for the most part. Pretty soon it is probably just going to be a straight chute from the Baker hole to the mouth.

Sad.