Sorry about the fuddy duddy remark, Larry. Admittedly, in most matters, I'm a fuddy duddy myself, so I don't consider that term derogatory, but rather descriptive of someone who generally resists change. I think most of us, no matter our age, are at least somewhat averse to change, especially before we're convinced change is necessary. No shame in that.

Sure, there are valid arguments against making online reporting the only option available. Perhaps a pilot program could be used to identify the real, actual issues that would need to be addressed in order to make it viable as the only option. Meanwhile, those not participating in the pilot could continue to use paper.

Carcassman: I'm not sure what electronics you're referring to, but I don't think it's a big deal for WDFW or anglers; we've all got personal computers at least, and I bet at least 2/3 of us have a tablet or smart phone. Developing the software would cost money, but so does keeping people on staff to enter and compile catch data as it arrives through the mail. Software like what I am describing would pay for itself in saved printing costs alone within a few years.

As regards Internet access, while that would certainly be necessary to submit data to WDFW's database, the beauty of an app is that it can be used offline, then upload data when a connection is established. If the app syncs with the database while connected, the data stored offline (catch codes, regs, etc.) will be kept current, if not in real time.