Lucky Louie -

To your point; in the 6 most recent WDFW sport catch reports (2010 to 2015) the average annual estimate salmon effort in the State's marine waters was 530,000 angler trips of which 88,000 were in the ocean (includes Grays harbor). That 88,000 ocean trips represents 16.6% of the total effort.

A note of caution the following is my interpretation of the latest model run that I have seen (4/11). There may have been a last minute fisheries change that I'm not aware of or I may have gotten a detail or two wrong but I suspect that the bottom line that a significant portion of the impacts (nearly twice impact share than the portion of total effort) for those ocean fisheries.

One of the most constraining salmon stocks limiting Puget Sound fishing in 2017 was the Stillaguamish wild coho. That most recent model run indicates 31.6% of the recreational impacts on that coho stock will occur in the ocean which of course results in more limited PS opportunity.

Of course the potential recreational fisheries were further limited by an approximate 50/50 split of the non-treaty impacts between the non-treaty commercial fisheries (this in spite of Commission Policy of making recreational fishing for PS coho a priority). The whole mess is further compounded with what appears to be a 20.5% of the wild Stillaguamish coho impacts in non-treaty fisheries.

Curt

Edited by Smalma (04/20/17 09:13 AM)