Originally Posted By: Lucky Louie

Looking at Alaskan halibut by-catch wastes in recent years, the grand total of the last year I could find was 5815 MT=12,819,880 pounds of halibut by-catch wasted in Alaskan waters compared to Washington state’s direct sport halibut fishery gets app. 110.3 metric tons= 243,167 lbs allocation for the year 2017.

Something is wrong with that picture.

In another words, Alaska halibut by-catch from other targeted fisheries wastes more than 98% more halibut than all of Washington State sport allocation in year 2017. But still IPHC has the nerve to pat themselves on the back about recent by-catch improvements.

“The longest halibut migration on record was that of a fish tagged near Atka Island in the Aleutian Islands, which was recaptured at Coos Bay, Oregon, a distance of 2,500 mi (4,023 km). Once halibut become mature, they seasonally migrate in the fall from the shallower (100 to 600 foot!) waters of the continental shelf to the bottom edge of the continental slope - as deep as 2,000 feet.”

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them