Ok, So I gave in and I bought a freshwater license when I swore that I wasn't going to . As painful as it was giving the state money for nothing I thought what the hey I can at least plunk by the house this summer .
While sitting at home last night browsing through the new book of regs I found out that the Skagit River closes the 16th of July and don't open again till mid December. That should be just in time to fish for non existent hatchery steelhead that they don't plant any more and that's only for 6 weeks , then it closes again. Ten weeks of fishing for the entire year WOW what a screaming deal that is.
Am I just living under a rock or has there not been much mention about this closure ? Screwed again I guess.
I passed on buying a saltwater license to fish halibut this year for the first time in about 15 years . I usually start prepping for halibut in Feb and spend at least a couple thousand $ getting the boat ready with tabs ,bait, gear, new flares ,launch passes , Discovery passes and such ,that's not including about $300 a day for gas, moorage munchies and the usual stuff to fish . I just couldn't justify doing it for 3 days of fishing. Instead I took all that money and installed a 500 foot long zip line with a 40 ft. drop for the adults and a separate 150 foot long run for the grandkids.
I might have to update my insurance but at least the state didn't get it .