Nick -
There are many factors that influence the potential of a population to achieve "quality" size.

Just one example is the kokanee that you mentioned. IN addition to the productivity of the water the density kokanee/acre) is a huge driver in the ultimate average size of mature kokanee. Wallowa has produced the world record kokanee in 2011 (an astounding fish of 9.7#s). In 2008 it was estimated that Wallowa had 70,000 kokanee and as a result went through a several year period of producing exception size fish. By 2014 the numbers were up to 900,000 and the average size fell to 8 to 9 inches.

While the "trout" of our local rivers will always have a hard time competing with some of the tail waters or larger lakes outside of the region. Thanks to the influence of salmon returns and access to the sound (for fish like sea-run cutthroat and bull trout) the quality of the "trout" of the Skagit would hold their own on most waters and more importantly are among the best in this State. Since the start of this century the north Sound rivers (Nooksack, Skagit, Stillaguamish, and Snohomish) have seen average salmon escapements of more than a 1,000 fish/mile.

Unlike the home of your record Golden trout the Skagit system has excellent access. By my count over the 125 miles of the main stem Skagit/Sauk there are at least 20 free launches where one can launch a raft, drift boat or in many locations a power boat. Also unlike so many "named" fisheries the "trout" of the Skagit are native species that are essentially genetically intact. Those trout can be found in abundances that while below what one find in other waters the seasonal nature of those "trout" behaviors are such where spectacular fishing can be found. While the sea-runs don't get as large as some other species the Skagit does produce trophy size individuals (fish in excess of 20 inches) as regularly as any Washington stream that I'm familiar and at the same time support some exceptional catch/rates. The anadromous bull trout exhibit exceptional growth rates; reaching maturity at age 4 at lengths of 18 to 20 inches and takes to salmon and their longevity can reach remarkable sizes (a fortunate angler might encounter dozens of bull trout in a single day who size would be measured in pounds and not inches). Thanks to recent enlighten management we are seeing increasing numbers of resident rainbows in the basin that have decent growth rates and reach sizes rarely seen on the Yakima.

For the angler that has paid their dues the Skagit not only produces quality size fish thanks to the variety of species and habitat types they can expect good catch rates during the entire period from now through November.

I suppose I'll to be satisfied with my memories of what once was. However unlike the steelhead fishing Bent metal referred to the Skagit fishery trout fishery maybe a thing of the past not due to lack of fish but rather because managers do not value the opportunity. The overall abundance of the Skagit sea-runs, bull trout and resident rainbows may currently be at abundances that none of us born after WWII have never seen; a comment one rarely hears in regard to salmonid populations of the region.

Curt

Edited by Smalma (06/18/17 06:30 AM)