Hi All,

I've been fishing in PS since 2011 and have really enjoyed it. I've also really benefited from reading this forum to learn more about the life cycle of salmon and the politics and management surrounding it. The depth of knowledge here is impressive.

Like the rest of you I'm concerned about where the fisheries in WA are headed. This last year had relatively short salmon seasons and I understand this year will likely be worse.

I was thinking back on when MA 9 was only open to shore fishing. Now I troll with downriggers almost all of the time, though when I first got my boat I mooched, with less but not zero success. I wonder, what about just banning downriggers? Would this allow an extended season? I've never felt it was the most noble form of fishing, getting in line with everyone else. It is productive, obviously and maybe that's part of the problem. Maybe at this point if you want the privilege of fishing for salmon you should have to really learn how to target them. I for one would have no problem with this. I am there to be on the water and learn about the fish and their habitat. I would be happy to catch less fish and when I do consider it a luxury if it meant preserving the fishery. If you want to fish then really learn how to do it. Thoughts?