It is a good discussion to have. What is the goal of a fishery? Dead fishing the boat? Limits? Time on the water?

Ban down riggers and you will reduce individual success. Make season longer. This may push out the angler who has a limited number of days to fish. But, it will extend the fishery for those who can participate. It would also (probably) benefit the good moocher at the expense of someone who just can't catch fish that way.

The value of a recreational fishery, from a management perspective, is participation/days on the water. A commercial fishery goal is to harvest their fish in the shortest amount of time as that is the economically best way to go.

So, I think this is a good discussion, realizing that whatever is done will hurt one group or theater. I am kinda like Flea, I would much rather fish freshwater walk and wade. Really don't care a lot for boats and fishing in salt has never been great fun so salt fishing for salmon could be completely closed and I wouldn't mind. Ecologically it's much better, too, but that's another argument. But, I recognize that without saltwater fishing there is a lot of people who would not be able to access salmon. a lot of folks who believe that a salmon has to be chrome silver to be edible, and so on.