Originally Posted By: fish4brains
It's WDFW's best managed resource. We dig at night all the time. You can't dumb proof everything.

That’s not saying much?

You certainly can’t dumb proof Wdfw. This announcement has been up for 3 days now without correction:

Razor clam digs approved March 2 and 3

Action: Opens Razor clam season

Effective date: 12:01 p.m. March 2 through 11:59 p.m. March 3, 2018

Digging is only allowed from: 12:01 a.m. through 11:59 a.m. each day.

Species affected: Razor clams

The specific low tides for this opener:

March 2, Friday - 6: 54 p.m.; -0.8 feet; Mocrocks

March 3, Saturday - 7: 34 p.m.; -0.3 feet; Mocrocks

Locations:

Mocrocks Beach, which extends from the Copalis River to the southern boundary of the Quinault Reservation near the Moclips River, including Iron Springs, Roosevelt Beach, Pacific Beach and Moclips.

Reason for action: Harvestable numbers of razor clams are available.

Information contact: Dan Ayres (360) 249-4628, Region 6 Montesano

Quote:
Digging is only allowed from: 12:01 a.m. through 11:59 a.m. each day.

Sending folks out in the middle of the night with no chance at clams.

I have already seen posts on other non fishing sites asking if the digs are at night. Also there are the usual folks from Portland heading up with there shovels. Thanks to social media. Last year wdfw announced a dig, then closed it due to biotoxin. I know people that went anyway and had to toss there clams.
If the best way to manage our clam resources is by social media announced seasons then why not do that with all our non razor clam beaches?
Instead of several month to year round seasons we could have one day or weekend social media announced openers. Retired Folks in RVs could drive the whole circuit, hitting a new beach every weekend. Wipe every living thing off the beach and move on. This would flood our state parks and make things way easier for Wdfw to manage.
I am for the night time clam digs. Just not the current system of social media sending everyone to pound sand in the dark at the same spot at the same time. This will cause a end to night time clam digging, not just for the ocean but everywhere!
If we allow this to happen it will be our fault for saying “how high”? every time Wdfw asks us to jump.