Close family friend and teaching partner of my Dad’s is a well known anthropologist in the PNW. He was a large part of the Ozette dig, responsible for the Hoko dig and ran the dig at Ralph Monroe’s property in Olympia to name a few. I’ve been fortunate enough to be around for several excavations of ancient basketry and cedar fishing nets at Mr. Monroe’s and at Hoko. One time at Hoko I was walking the bank fishing for cutts, we found a Makah basket sticking out of a clay bank. He removed it and preserved it. One of many many artifacts he’s pulled from old Native American settlements around the PNW.

My dad has developed quite the collection of PNW Native American baskets and other artifacts. He owns some property very near Ralph Monroe’s place and has found some very cool stuff including well worn stone tools similar to mortar and pestle as well as stone cutting tools.

I’ve toured the storage facility for the Makah tribal museum in Neah Bay several times. There is a lot of totally cool stuff in there that never gets displayed!