I don't think there is anyone out there, including the Tribe, that has studied the issue that thinks that the Tribe's claim to the river is above questionable. The tribe will never just agree they don't own it, but at the same time do not want to get the claim in front of a judge.

It is looking to me that the State solves a few things by doing nothing. One, they get the Tribe to "like them more"; Two, they do not have to address the issue of snagging or have to actually police the fishery; They do not have to tick off the masses by resetting the fishery into something other than a snag fishery. and lastly, they can just sit on their butts and do nothing, which, in government, is the preferred approach.

From what was told to me by a staff member and what seems to be hinted to by the Tribe (Charles Miller), is that the fishery could be easily opened if the state would just reign it in a bit. But in doing so, the state would have to take responsibility for making new rules and enforcing them. That seems to be much harder for them then to just point the finger at the Tribe and do nothing. Given the time, my goal will be to convince them otherwise. I am giving Mr. Warren a few days to come out with something, but after that the phone will start ringing, and hopefully, some political pressure can be put on the department. More and more I am convinced this is almost all on the Department and their reluctance to actually do anything.