It's a very attractive and simple argument to make...and once you remove the non-tribal share caught in Alaska and BC, and the non-tribal share killed by development, I suspect that the tribes would still be getting shorted a lot.

I may not have been a fan of how it has played out, but I am generally supportive of tribal fishing rights...they have treaties, treaties are the law of the land, and overall they got royally screwed...but that being said, I would caution the tribes to take to heart the axiom that "Pigs get fat, and hogs get slaughtered".

Tribal fishing rights/techniques aren't going anywhere until they have been pushed far enough to effectively exclude all other options and fishers, and when that happens, then there will be political will to abrogate the treaty right. If they think that can't happen then they, too, haven't been paying attention the last 200 years.

I feel like we have been heading that way the last several years. Start shutting down Alaska commercial fishing so that six more Chinook can swim through a culvert under a logging road in the Willapa hills and this will stop being a small scale problem where a handful of redneck sporties in Washington are getting bent, and will become an economic problem of large enough proportions to get some attention.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle