Beez - there are snobby jerks in almost all sports and leisure hobbies. Just as there are salt of the earth, humble folks as well. FF is no different and you gotta wade through the douches to get to the good ones. It is however generally regarded as a rich man sport akin to hound hunting and yachting. A lot of these 70 year olds you speak of have made their money and have been to the very top of their fields. There will be diick measuring going on- count on it. Pomp and circumstance + egos are par for the course and to expect anything different is kinda on you.

I come directly from some of that "legend" stock, was born, raised and drilled into that culture. My father, a dentist when he wasn't fishing, left the top of the FF community because of it and the politics. I saw all of that and said no thanks. All I ever cared for was getting dirty, catching fish and perfecting the craft, so I remained immune to the BS. Maybe you gotta go back to the heart and essence of the sport?