Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
From Triangle Tackle Snohomish Facebook....

SNOHOMISH RIVER COHO UPDATE
A meeting was held today with WDFW officials and local retailers and Tackle representatives before WDFW was to meet with the tribes later in the day. A lot was discussed during this 2 hour meeting. The end result was to maintain the current closure at this time.
The main reason for the closure was that the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) told WDFW that wild Coho escapement on the Snohomish River system needed to reach 150,000 the next 3 years or 50,000 per year or the Coho would face endangered species listing. This notification was given just 1 month ago. WDFW had escapement goals of 33,000 wild Coho during North of Falcon process and thought they had clear sailing. Once NMFS's notification came, WDFW had to scramble to assess the run. Their most recent modelling showed 50,044 wild Coho, just a 44 fish surplus. Rather than gamble on what's left to come, they will keep the river closed until such time as a larger run of fish come. Should they get to 60,000 fish, they would reopen. Commercial and tribal fisheries (whether or not they could fish) were not disussed.
Let me know through your comments if you would like me to share more from this meeting.

I am missing something here.
If they don’t get the numbers then it causes a ESA listing. That would have huge effects on recreational fishing not just on the Snoho but Puget Sound!
Whoever is trying to prevent that should be thanked.