Three Rivers Marine

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1005822 - 03/23/19 07:13 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

yesterday was fun.. and interesting...

there was only like 6 or 7 of us there, couple guys at a couple lanes, and 1 fully dressed guy at the far end...

one guy had a belt fed upper, wasnt working right either.. he paid 4k dollars for just the upper... was cool but hey, if it dont work right..................

he then came down by me (im liking the far left rifle slot, puts me in line with the 300 yard plate), and i saw that he had a Canik Elite... i knew right off the bat what it was because a pawn shop here sells new guns, and they want 700 dollars for it... they are made by Century Arms which im not a huge fan of, mainly because their AK's suck accuracy wise, but then again, all of them do unless you get into the Vepr and Drag rifles, PSL ect....

he asked if i wanted to shoot it, sure... pretty nice actually, i was impressed... nice sights, trigger gotta get used to but not bad overall...

he ended up giving me around 100-120 rounds of 9mm ammo ( i dont own a 9mm, yet), but i think it might be personal reloads, everything looks the same, except the case stamps... he did also give away to another guy about 100 rounds of the Remington Bucket range rounds...

that guy, ( the one he gave the rounds to), was really cool, so was his buddy... he, looked like a crab, my brother is 6'2 ish 250 pounds and has arms the size of your leg.. this dude was 1 inch shorter than me, and had bigger arms rofl

very informative guy and was really nice.. he had a FN Special Police Rifle in .308 that was pretty sick, had a Nightforce 6-24 on it, slick setup for sure... he also had 2 other AR's one that had a sup on it in .300 BLK that was cool for sure... suppressor was 1600 dollars by itself tho so im good (surefire suppressor)... very very good accuracy for what he was shooting... he also had a PSA AR, with a Primary Arms 6X tac scope, said he wanted to build a sub MOA rifle for under a grand, which he did...

i was thinking all the night before i should have brought my pistol, but i didnt... oh well...

he then came down next to me to shoot his pistols, on both sides he was running is chronograph, the thing was COOL... not your standard chrono, it was a radar chrono, which i guess is a lot better....

the older RSO also brought out his Glock 21C... ive shot 20's and 21's but never the comp models... WOW, i want one, and im going to get one...

went back to shooting the AR, and his buddy came down with a brand new MagPul 30 rounder, asked me to run it through my rifle to see if it would feed, it wouldnt in his... bang bang bang bang bang, yeah its fine... "keep it"...

at one point, me and the body builder, were trading shots on the 300 yard target plate.. saw him shoot my plate when i was getting ready... was fun for sure...

what i didnt expect, as i have run alot of .223/5.56 rounds in my life, but never at any distance, was WIND... we had a gust that came through that was probably 40 MPH.. blew my case off the table, garbage can off the platform, the guys chronograph went flying, was crazy...

i missed a few more than i wanted, but rifle shot great again... i was only missing by a tad so im not super upset, it was like a 15 MPH crosswind or in that range... managed to push it to about 370 and when the wind died down, it was hitting good at that distance as well...

i talked with him about the 6.5 Creed, said i wanted either the PCR, RPR or the Savage, he has a Savage, and says its a nice rifle, but if he were to do it again, he would do the RPR...

so im going to start looking at those at some point, but first, the .224... PSA is now out of the uppers, but they are selling full rifles for 650... probably just going to go that route...

if you havent been there, go to that range... follow the rules, as you are on base (like NO CONCEALED CARRY WHATSOEVER), and you will have nothing but fun... im not even kidding...

#1005830 - 03/24/19 07:19 AM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Budget trigger mods...

The trigger screw.
It tips the trigger and changes the sear geometry.
Be vewwy careful with this mod. You don't want to Darwin yourself or someone else.
You can also use a 1/4-28 x 1/4" set screw to do the same thing.
Your grip screw bore needs to be drilled and tapped all the way through.
(most are)
https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JoeBob-s-AR15-Grip-Screw-Trigger-Adjuster-p/jb-triggeradjuster.htm

The JP spring kit.
Combined with the trigger screw, this will yield a pretty decent trigger.
May not ignite crap hard cup Russian ammo.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/100336...b-reduced-power

#1005847 - 03/24/19 01:50 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: ]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
Be patient, save your money, and ask for a “G” SSA trigger for a couple hun, and call it good.

Or a G2S for about $125 when they go on sale.
But Evo already said that he doesn't want to throw down for a G trigger, hence the Budget Trigger posted above.

#1005857 - 03/24/19 04:28 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

im not opposed to it per say, but i dont want to spend upwards of 300 bucks if im only going to get like 1 pound lighter... not sure how much of a difference 4.5 to 3.5 would make...

this one already has a Ruger 452 Elite trigger, not your standard mil spec trigger

https://ruger.com/micros/AR-Trigger/index.html

now when i get the Valkyrie, ill likely definitely be getting a upgraded trigger, but i will again want it around the 2 pound mark if thats doable...

so are you guys Geissele guys? ive got zero experience with them... i do have experience with Timney, and they are around the same price as well...

also, the big dude there had a flat bladed trigger, i forget the brand, he said was around 150 bucks, but how do you guys feel about flat blades for long range use? Timney makes one i have looked at for the 700 that has a red rocker switch type thing on it, i think its on the Calvin Elite, that has interested me for a while... just never "pulled it" to get one...

the last thing i want to do is buy something i wont like...

ill take a look at some Geissele triggers the next time i go to Quantico, or maybe the range next weekend...

thanks again for that scope Scott, its has been nothing but excellent using it... illumination gets washed out completely at that range, its all light brownish sand/dirt, so the sun reflects off it alot, but thats OK, its not a absolute requirement for me...

#1005858 - 03/24/19 04:30 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

yeah this is the one i was looking at for the 700... im going to buy a chassis for it at some point i think...

https://timneytriggers.com/calvin-elite-custom-remington-model-700/

#1005859 - 03/24/19 04:33 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

they do make one for the AR, looks like its a 1.5 pound pull weight... its 300 bucks tho...

https://timneytriggers.com/ar-calvin-elite-single-stage-drop-in/#description

#1005862 - 03/24/19 05:13 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Originally Posted By: Evo

this one already has a Ruger 452 Elite trigger, not your standard mil spec trigger

That is why the trigger mod above might be worth a look.
Enhance what you already have.

Brownells just put a couple of Geiselles on sale FWIW. $135
https://gun.deals/product/geissele-rapid-fire-trigger-b-grf-17699

Not a fan of the drop-in cassettes like the Timney.
Most can't self-retain the trigger pins and require fasteners (dog bones, button heads or E/C-clips) on the outside of your receiver. They don't tell you that.

#1005865 - 03/24/19 05:51 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

screw it...

ordered the B-G2S-E... 148.47 out the door...

i suppose i could sell the Ruger trigger for a hundred or so... or, if the PSA rifle has a sh!t trigger, i can put it in that, although, like i said, i want a lighter trigger for long stuff... the Geissele says the second stage breaks at 1.2 pounds, which is exactly what im looking for....

says i should have it by next Monday...

#1005866 - 03/24/19 05:51 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

thanks DD..

#1005918 - 03/25/19 02:49 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

impressive...

shipped this morning, should be here by Friday at the latest they say....

#1005941 - 03/25/19 05:25 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Watch the Geiselle trigger install video by Bill Geiselle (20 min video).
And never let an AR hammer fall against the magwell.
"Catch" the hammer when testing the trigger.

#1005944 - 03/25/19 06:03 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

funny you said that... i kinda figured you didnt want to do that, but i was at a store ill leave un named, and was looking at the triggers, and the guy pulled a lower off with a trigger in it, and multiple times pulled the trigger and it slammed forward.... kinda cringed each time he did it, figured it was bad for it...

ill check that video out, i did watch this one, which is pretty straight forward... i just noticed in the comments tho, someone said that the trigger pin looked wobbly, and another guy responded saying he wouldnt be surprised if it broke...

another guy said he should have gotten anti walk pins...

should i order them?

#1005946 - 03/25/19 06:06 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

nevermind, i see another person said that Bill says not to use aftermarket pins, and that a little play is normal...

he said the guys lower is likely out of spec, and should be sent back...

the guy himself says that hes ran it for 9 months (as of the comment) and has had zero issues... no pins falling out ect... someone said their pins fell out at the range...

it doesnt look that difficult, but im almost tempted to just pay someone to do it... cant cost me more than 20 bucks...

hell, Quantico may do it for free like they did with my grip....

#1005968 - 03/25/19 11:53 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

1) Beware of goofball Youtube videos.
Sounds like the one you posted is one of those.

2) Anti-walk pins are to separate fools from their money

3) Do the install yourself

#1006236 - 03/29/19 05:36 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

was at the range today, trigger came when i was there rofl

all i gotta say, is you fvckers just ruined me...

WOW...

easy to install, everything functions great, the trigger is PHENOMENAL...

there is a marked difference in the break... the Ruger trigger is very nice, but this one blows it out of the water by far...

definitely going to have to get used to that break, super light, but i like that....

one thing i noticed between the 2, is the disconnect is part of the Ruger trigger, where as the Geissele is 2 parts... took me a second to figure out why i couldnt get the pin through...

everything is oiled and functioning flawless, safety works, hammer drops, everything is tits....

thanks Scott and DD for talking me into the G triggers, now im going to have to get them for everything rofl

thanks again guys, cant wait to shoot it...

#1006238 - 03/29/19 05:49 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

#1006241 - 03/29/19 06:36 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

this was the first 5 rounds of the day (i only load 5 to 1, be respectful i guess, and 2, not burn through 80 dollars worth of ammo in 15 minutes)...

i did miss twice, but i kinda rush myself sometimes, and i need to work on that... i also am not in the best position, the bench seats are low, so i have to sit on my left foot to get me in the position i want to be in sight line wise...

not sure if im pulling shots, or missing because im rushing and not letting the plate stop swinging...

regardless, this trigger will help with both of that, i know what happened with my 10/22 when i put the trigger in that, so this wont be, or shouldnt be, any different...

i think these were the 55 gr MagTech ammo, and ive actually been shooting the Aguila 62 grainers with a lot more consistency... last 15-20 rounds of the day i hit each time....

think i just need to calm down and pace myself better, AR's for me, like with AK's tend to speed things up, and shooting at distance, thats not the wisest choice....

oh, i didnt realize till after i recorded, that i was focusing on the 100 or 150 yard berm, im still figuring out the new camera, and dont want to use auto focus and have it go in and out of focus, so i did a manual job, tripod is 2 feet tall and on the ground under the bench, so its kinda tough to see the screen comfortably... ill get it better next time....

#1006275 - 03/31/19 10:20 AM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

went down the hill to the gun show yesterday... havent been in probably 30 years... come cool stuff, but kinda just a waste of money...

looked all over for .224 uppers, there were a few, but i think probably about 10 total...

one guy from Oklahoma, had 2, and im pretty sure they were those cheap ones i posted previously, i asked him who made them, he didnt know, but assured me they were made in the USA... it was 279 plus another 100 for the BCG...

the reason they were the cheapo's i suspect, is because i looked on the barrel for the cal mark, and it was stamped, with a stamp... like printed on the barrel in a bluing type marking... not stamped INTO the barrel like other companies... they also just felt cheap to me...

so i passed... (they were also 18 inch barrels)

found another guy that had 2, both used... 1 was a Rock River i think, he wanted like 950 for that, then there was a Rainier Arms that had a Zeiss Conquest 6-24 on it, he wanted 2k for that, and it was used... passed...

then found another guy that apparently has a shop here in Puyallup where he builds guns.... his buddy was going to rip apart any AR on the table and sell me the upper right there... the one i almost bought, was a Aero Precision upper, he will sell it to me for 450, or the entire rifle for 850.... dont know alot about them tho, i know they are decent, but havent read up on them much...

im now in a stage where i dont know if i want to get another AR for distance, im thinking the one i have will go out to 6-700, maybe a tad further, so im kinda thinking about just getting a 6.5 Creed bolt rifle like the Ruger RPR.... it will definitely slow down my rate of fire, and quite a few of the guys at the range have them and are hitting golf balls at 300 with them....

did see a couple nice Sig rifles in 6.5, but they were 2500-3k dollars... bulky fvckers too....

i did run into the guy that sold me my charging handle, another guy i bought my revolver from, and one of the guys from Sportsmans... all had some nice stuff...

also saw a scope company ive never heard of, Osprey... they were fairly expensive for the high zoom models, like the 10-40X50 at 1100, but it was a really nice scope... i guess they use the same erectors as Nightforce, and the glass was superb... he told me to find a target and look through it, then he placed his hand over the bell with just a little gap between his fingers... you couldnt even see his fingers AT ALL... was crazy...

some asshole just before i got there, caused a slight scene, and managed to walk away with a 1k dollar scope he snatched off the table... they werent happy about that at all...

did end up buying a 50 round box from Washougal River cart company, look like good rounds, they use the Hornady FMJ so we will see how they do....

so now i have to decide if i want another AR or a bolt gun with an AR grip, because i do like having that pistol grip... did find a grip with the palm shelf, and it felt amazing, but im not going to put one on the MPR, i think its fine as it is, but a bolt rifle, it would feel nice on....

decisions decisions....

#1006280 - 03/31/19 11:51 AM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Time for an AR9 or a hand cannon.
I have more fun with my scratch-built Glocks than I can shake a stick at.
And it's not always 10, 20, 25 yards.

We shoot at a rock pit in the G-P forest.
A lot of steel targets lately...plate rack, gongs, silhouettes etc.
Love the Shoot-N-See targets.

There was an orange chip from a clay target about 100 yards out.
I pointed it out to my shootin' buddy and he sort of laughed.
He thinks of handguns as very close range tools.
So he watches it with the binos.
My G17 was splashin' sand all around it.
Next time we'll set some steel way out.

And then something that they will be taking away is the un-serialized Glock pattern frames.
These are $99.99 when you put them in your cart.
https://www.armorally.com/shop/polymer80-pf940v2-pistol-frame-kit/?v=7516fd43adaa
A smokin' deal.
Can be completed with hand tools.
Choosing the correct parts for completion (read price-performance sweet spot) is easy if you know who to ask.
THE LEGISLATURE WILL DEFINITELY BE TAKING THESE AWAY.

Here are my two "kitchen table" Glocks.
G17 and G19

#1006326 - 04/01/19 04:38 PM Re: AR 556 MPR [Re: 5 * General Evo]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

ive never really been a fan of AR pistols or 9mm for that matter... just me i guess, nothing wrong with them, but i dont really like shooting at close distances unless its with regular pistols/revolvers...

ive always just been about trying to slam as many rounds through the same spot as possible... and sometimes, i screw myself because what i expect, isnt really obtainable... gotta learn to not do that as well...

we went up and found another shooting spot yesterday, only about 35 minutes away, and dont need a pass... plenty of room up there as well...

i only ran like 30 rounds out of the AR to try the new trigger... man is that thing nice... like REALLY nice... i did do 1 5 round set really fast, and one 10 round before we left... this rifle feels like it loses recoil the more you fire (if firing fast), is that because of the gas tube? my Bushmaster had a little more kick to it than this MPR, not that that is a bad thing however...

Katie even shot 5 rounds out of it, having her standing and holding it isnt the best idea tho, kinda heavy for her, ill have to get a small table or something and let her try it off a rest, should help her out...

even managed to run a couple rounds out of the 700.. i love the sound of magnums sound bouncing off the hills, always have....

so....

those are some nice looking Glocks you have there DD, what are they? whats been done?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |