Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1006305 - 04/01/19 10:44 AM Re: 2019/20 licenses [Re: bushbear]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
Originally Posted By: bushbear
Time to think about getting your new license for 2019/20.

I'm delaying my purchase until things get straightened out. Over 45% take of Hood Canal coho @ PFMC is not acceptable.

#1006309 - 04/01/19 11:11 AM Re: 2019/20 licenses [Re: large edward]
blenny Offline
Fry

i knew it wouldn't take long to get the tired "millennials are lazy" and "i walked uphill both ways to get to school" tropes. the reason why you aren't seeing more "kids" these days at WDFW meetings:

1. many people my age don't have the money and time to get into salmon/steelhead fishing. all of my regular fishing buddies are 10+ years older than I am and much more well established.

2. young people who do get into fishing are moving towards bass and other types of fishing, its a based on popular trends and availability of the fishery.

3. many sportfishing stakeholders have boats and houses to store their boats at, a luxury that a majority of millennials will not likely have the resources for in their lifetime and thus have no access to the fisheries that are oft talked about in this forum.

additionally, how do you expect young people to become stakeholders as sportfishermen if they're being called, lazy, flatbilled, vape toting idiots? the resources were overharvested and poorly managed by the generations before me and the human development in our region has continued to increase- I didn't have any say in that but many of you guys did. literally every generation complains about the generations after them when ironically they were the ones that raised those subsequent generations. lets just agree that that the whole argument is shite.

i pointed out that the license fee is still a great deal and its a huge distraction to everyone who is invested in protecting our salmon and steelhead fisheries to quibble about plus or minus $10 bucks or the fee itself. all I'm saying is that if we're going to seriously improve our fisheries it will cost serious $$$. many folks here are concerned about conservation and fishing opportunities but blow a gasket when you suggest that license fees and WDFW budget should be increased. I'm tired of the constructive discussions that derail when taxes and fees are involved and this seems to consistently happen. i haven't heard one person honestly articulate what alternative options we have to increasing fisheries abundance without putting more money towards that goal. the whole point of hatcheries is to mitigate development which has reduced the ability of the rivers to produce to their historic levels- in my opinion we simply aren't taxing and collecting money from polluters and increased development. existing development too- how many rivers are lined with old houses with questionable septic systems? consumer pesticides and surfactants are devastating to microfauna that smolt rely on for food. how do you propose we stop this?

we're all on the same team but if y'all want more young people involved maybe try having a little bit more of an open mind and less gatekeeping. so a few guys here helped with broodstock programs back in the day? great job! very commendable. here is your gold star for recognition. sportfishing requires an infusion of young people to continue to advocate for our fisheries: invite them on your boat, talk to them when you're on the river and engage with them in a positive way.

#1006361 - 04/02/19 12:17 PM Re: 2019/20 licenses [Re: bushbear]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

Good post, Blenny.

I bought my license yesterday. I've figured out that I almost never need a Discover Pass where I fish. Between that and my decision to buy only freshwater + Columbia endorsement, I had to do a double take when the clerk said my total was $38. That is cheap. Probably a little too cheap....

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Skate
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1340 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645378 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |