LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1009384 - 05/25/19 05:53 PM In Remembrance of Those That Gave All.
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Just want to give a heartfelt "Thank you" to the friends and families of those who gave all in the service of our country. Our military, first responders and other un-sung heroes who put country and service before self.

In Honor of them, please share a reply with the name and a short bio of someone you would like to honor.

#1009385 - 05/25/19 05:55 PM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
My Father, Teno. 32 years of military service. Started in the Army and was "volunteered" into the Army Air Corps, which then became the Air Force.
Passed away, 2000. Thank you Dad, love and miss you.

1Sgt U.S. Army (Ret)

#1009391 - 05/25/19 08:21 PM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Bay wolf]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
My ol' man was in the Air Corps, too.
B17's
Left waist gunner

#1009406 - 05/26/19 01:24 PM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Direct-Drive]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Yes, thank you.

#1009407 - 05/26/19 02:49 PM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Bay wolf]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA

#1009408 - 05/26/19 03:47 PM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Bay wolf]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: Bay wolf
My Father, Teno. 32 years of military service. Started in the Army and was "volunteered" into the Army Air Corps, which then became the Air Force.
Passed away, 2000. Thank you Dad, love and miss you.

Preface: It's the military. My father was in the Army Air Corp as a pilot cadet at Camp McCoy and was "volunteered" into the infantry along with his and several other cadet classes (sorry guys, don't need more pilots - here is your rifle). Ultimately ended up on the front lines immediately after the Battle of the Bulge as the Allies pushed back into Germany where he was wounded just north of Trier, Germany and evacuated to England.

His brother: WWII Navy. Think most of his military service was in HI. After the war he married a war widow who had also been a Miss South Dakota and adopted her daughter.

Grandfather: Basic at Camp Lewis before going to Europe for the war to end all wars where he served with a communications unit as a motorcycle rider transporting messages along the front. (That must have been dicey)

Great Uncle: U.S. Navy (Seabee) retired. He was in the Aleutians when the Army sent the troops from California who had been training to go to N. Africa and who were equipped for Africa - not Alaska. His stories were pretty grim as to conditions they had to endure.

Great Grandfather: Civil war; Wisconsin volunteers.

Ancestor: Participated in the burning of the British revenue vessel Gaspee and wounding of its captain, a British Naval officer. British consider it the first act of armed aggression leading to our war of independence. This makes for an interesting historical read in part because the King offered a reward of 1,000 pounds for names......and got none.

Then there was: Wife, Iraq, Desert Storm, 50th General Hospital USAR retired.

Wife's father: U.S. Navy retired; was one day outbound from Pearl Harbor on 7 December.

Wife's Uncle: U.S. Navy then civilian then Marines for duration of WWII.

Wife's great uncle : RAF - Bomber crewman; died over the Channel.

My thanks to them all and their families for their service and sacrifices.

Edited by Larry B (05/26/19 11:15 PM)

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1009415 - 05/26/19 10:34 PM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Larry B]
avidangler
Unregistered

Grandma-Nurse in WW2
Grandpa-SGT in WW2,met my grandma iduring WW2,married after the war-Aleutians
Grandpa-Lt Colonel Ships were sunk in front and behind him,Pacific Ocean Theater,WW2
Uncle - Viet Nam,never recovered from it

The greatest generation. I thank them for their service,and all the other soldiers who gave up everything for our freedom,and to my Granddad for getting me fired up about steelhead fishing when I was 8!

#1009420 - 05/27/19 07:53 AM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
My Dad was in the Air Corps. Wanted to be a pilot but washed out of flight school. He became, among other things, a tail gunner on a B-25. Only overseas duty was in Panama, unless you found Mississippi/ Louisiana as "foreign". Only combat was when they started a strafing run on a submarine. No US subs were supposed to be there so they attacked. Sub hadn't read the memo, but the pilot figured out that it wasn't German.

Had one uncle on the Burma Road (Army) and one on Guadalcanal (Marines). Both survived.

My Mom was engaged to a guy whose destroyed was blown up and sunk with almost no survivors near Anzio. It was a year before they were declared dead, but never recovered. She always wore that ring....

My father-in-law drove a landing craft at Iwo. Unfortunately, none of the them were every really forthcoming about what happened "over there".

#1009421 - 05/27/19 08:19 AM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Bay wolf]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
I will add that I had the opportunity to meet two veterans who survived the Bataan Death March. They, too, did not want to revisit by talking about their experiences. One of my father's best friends was in the Marines and was killed in combat in the Pacific. Dad believed he was buried in the Punch Bowl but with some research I found him in the American cemetery in Manila.

Edit: As to the friend, he was actually U.S. Army, 161st Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division and was KIA 28 July 1943 in the Solomon Islands. Arthur S. Toothman was awarded the DSC and Purple Heart, both posthumously, and is buried in Plot A Row 15 Grave 208, Manila American Cemetery, Taguig City,Philippines. Not forgotten.

Edited by Larry B (05/28/19 09:54 AM)

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1009422 - 05/27/19 08:28 AM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Bay wolf]
Snake Pliskin Offline
Bead

Loc: Duvall
My signature line on this site is "bless our troops". My uncle fought in WWII in Europe. My dad served but never saw action. My son-in-law did a tour in Iraq.

#1009433 - 05/27/19 09:59 AM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Bay wolf]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Thankfully no relatives died in action. One uncle was wounded in N. Africa, my step-dad was in the Navy at Pearl Harbor and survived; next step-dad was in the Marines in the Pacific and survived two island landing invasions, then got malaria and shipped back to the mainland, missing a third island invasion.

#1009444 - 05/27/19 01:39 PM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Bay wolf]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
An older veteran I know made this sobering statement to me a few years back when taking about his service in Veit Nam. His little village sent quite few guys but none supposedly have ever died in service. When asked he stated, " Yeah, we all made it back...…....got a few of them later though..."'

#1009445 - 05/27/19 02:02 PM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Krijack]
elwoodp Offline
Eyed Egg

Loc: Lake Forest Park, WA
Back in the 80's, I was in a group therapy program for Vietnam vets with PTSD. About halfway through the program, one of the guys blew his head off with a shotgun. We talked it over and decided that he had been killed in Vietnam, it just took a few years to finally happen. That is still happening to vets every day. They deserve better.

#1009448 - 05/27/19 08:51 PM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Bay wolf]
Bobber Down Offline
Spawner

Loc: Lake Forest Dark, Wa
My Uncle at 18 served in Vietnam. Followed orders and took part in the My Lei massacre, and was shot in the shoulder shortly after and sent home. Drank himself basically into a stupor for 45+years trying to forget what he did over there. He was a very kind and funny man, I can’t imagine the horror that he saw, while serving, that he drank every day trying forget. Thank you Veterans.

BD

"It makes no sense to regulate salmon habitat on land while allowing thousands of yards of gill nets to be stretched across salmon habitat in the water"

John Carlson, Gubernatorial Contender, Sept. 2000 speech at the Ballard Locks

#1009462 - 05/28/19 08:50 AM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Bay wolf]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Thanks to all.
Family, soldier, civilian included.

#1009475 - 05/28/19 01:57 PM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Bay wolf]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
This 3 day weekend was the 1st time in a long time that I never heard "Thanks for your service". There are some times, that I hear "thanks for your service", many times a day...…

I was RA, 1957 - 1960, Basic at Fort Ord CA, 2nd 8 Fort Leonard wood Missouri, 18 months Fort Campbell KY (not airborne), then to Korea for 16 months....all peace time duty. My 3 years in the Army were "a grow up" period in my life, also used the GI Bill to help pay for 2 college degrees.

Oh, MOS...heavy equipment, bull dozer, road grader, rollers, scrapers, all the drive able vehicles. Never used any of those skills, in the real world!!!!!

Edited by DrifterWA (05/28/19 02:06 PM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1009486 - 05/28/19 07:44 PM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Bay wolf]
Terry Roth Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Vashon
My uncle Norm was abandoned in 1942 in the Phillipines when Macarthur pulled out, he lived in the jungle for nearly 3 years, unable to use a gun as the Japanese had overrun the islands. He could catch fish with his hands! Some of his men died of scurvy and malnutrition. He never talked about his ordeal, preferred to keep it inside, but he did tell my aunt some really horrible tales of the ordeal.

God bless those who keep us safe, and those who have paid the price.

#1009496 - 05/29/19 08:16 AM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Bay wolf]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Mercy.

#1009508 - 05/29/19 10:05 PM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: WDFW X 1 = 0]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
I am very reverent when it comes to honoring all that served, and especially those that gave above and beyond. In my case there was some irony on how I served and then did it again a few years later. Not too long after my discharge from the Army and coming home with all my parts still attached, I found myself pulling gillnets from the Nisqually wearing a steel pot and a flak jacket wearing a WDF uniform.

#1009511 - 05/30/19 06:45 AM Re: In Remembrance of Those That Gave All. [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Didn't think you'd come home to shooting' war, did ya? The folks I know who were in an overseas shooting was (WWII, Korea, 'Nam) never said much, and we do owe them a lot although I tend to side with Mr. Lincoln in that we need to honor them by ensuring that the Grand Experiment does not fail.

Similarly, I worked with a whole lot of people who got shot at and otherwise harassed around here. At that time, it seemed that both sides were shooting at us.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |