Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1009843 - 06/04/19 05:15 PM CHANGES IN WDFW
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

I posted this in the FTC thread but I think it deserves it own space. Interesting read.

Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2019 10:02 AM
To: Susewind, Kelly (DFW) <Kelly.Susewind@dfw.wa.gov>
Subject: WDFW Director’s Office structure

WDFW Colleagues:
As I near the close of my tenth month as your director, I continue to be impressed by the breadth of our mission and the quality of the work that you all accomplish. I learn something new every day. I hear stories from our external partners about how we interact and affect their quality of life. I continue to be thrilled to be leading this agency, an agency that does so much for fish, wildlife, and the citizens of the state.

I’ve taken some time to assess our challenges, our leadership team, and how that aligns with my own strengths and weaknesses. I have taken time to get to know the agency, and understand what works well, and where our vulnerabilities are.

I am writing to share an update on changes I am making in the Director’s Office that reflect that thinking and will go into effect next month.

After 12 years as your Deputy Director, I have asked Joe Stohr to serve as the Assistant Director (AD) of our Technology and Financial Management Program and also lead our Modern Workforce Initiative. I want us to have 21st century technology, work spaces, records management, and workforce policies that attract and retain talent. Joe will lead this important initiative and set us up for success.

Amy Windrope, our Region 4 Director, served as the Acting Deputy Director during the spring of 2018. Her energy, passion, and ability to connect with and lead staff is admirable. She has been with the agency since 2011 and she excels at bringing programs together to solve tough natural resource challenges. I’ve asked her to serve as the Deputy Director. She’ll start in this new role next month. She’ll also be the lead for coordinating our executive management team. I plan to ask regional program managers to serve as the Acting Region 4 Director on a rotational basis while the recruitment for a permanent replacement is underway.

An area where I think we need additional emphasis is working across programs to enhance our delivery of conservation outcomes. I’ve asked Jeff Davis, currently the Habitat Program Assistant Director, to serve as the Director of Conservation. He will be our lead for establishing a conservation vision and working across programs to support implementation. In this new role, Jeff will also serve as the executive sponsor of our strategic planning effort and will lead the Lean Transformation Office. I’m going to appoint Margen Carlson as the Acting AD of the Habitat Program while we recruit for this vacancy. She is a great leader, has helped in building the program and has a solid grasp on the operations and policy issues. I am confident that she will excel in this role.

Another area where I want to invest additional emphasis is the co-management of fish, with a focus on salmon. I’ve asked Ron Warren, the Fish Program Assistant Director, to be a new Director of Fish Policy. In this role, Ron will lead our work with US v Oregon, US v Washington, and coordinate our Commission’s fish and hatchery policies. This additional capacity will allow a new Fish Program Assistant Director to focus on implementation of the program. I have appointed Kelly Cunningham, the Deputy AD of the Fish Program, to serve as the Acting AD while we recruit for a permanent AD. Kelly has been with the Fish Program since 2012. He is a solid member of our executive management team, lives and breathes fish, and is a strong champion of staff.

Nate Pamplin who is currently our Policy Director will continue in his role, although I’m changing some of the portfolio of his work. We’ve recently centralized budget management in the agency, and I’m moving that newly created work unit from TFM and placing it under Nate. Nate will continue to oversee state and federal legislative affairs and public affairs, but as indicated above, the work he was previously doing associated with strategic planning and executive management coordination are being moved to Jeff and Amy, respectively, to free up some of his capacity to be our executive lead on budget.

As you’ve read, there are a lot of changes coming. I recognize that it is challenging to make these changes while balancing a budget with a significant shortfall. The changes I’ve proposed create two new FTEs. I have also done the calculus. If we don’t address key areas, like making strong improvements on salmon co-management, improving our conservation focus, and working across programs, we will continue to struggle to dig out of what seem to be perennial lean budget years.

There are many more details to sort through to implement the plan I’ve described. I wanted to share my latest thinking, and initiate some of these structural changes. I’m excited about the new team in the Director’s Office that will be able to help partner on our high priority areas.

Please congratulate those in their new positions and support the acting positions while we fill the vacancies created.

Sincerely,

Kelly

#1009943 - 06/05/19 01:15 PM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: Rivrguy]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
So, let's take a few things into consideration here.

1. Kelly Susewind was brought in to fill a vacancy that was left when James Unsworth made an "unscheduled" departure (got fired). Although the press made it sound like it was due to the killing of fawns at a rehab center, I can tell you uncategorically that it was due to the fiasco of the Ten Year Chinook Mngt. Plan. A plan that Ron Warren and others crafted and agreed to with the Tribes under Unsworth's watch completely without the Commission even knowing about it. Larry Carpenter was livid and was a key player in Unsworth's removal.

2. Susewind was brought on board as an outsider, and without a larger pedigree in Resource management. Many thought he was somewhat under qualified to say the least. But, we all wanted some fresh thinking and understood that we need a change.

3. The Department is having sever budget issues. It's no secret that part of the reason the latest fee hike failed was due to an all out revolt from the dirty masses (us) since the hike was right at the same time the Commission just made a bone head decision to allow gill nets back into the Columbia. But the anger and frustration that welled up runs much deeper and has been simmering for a long time.

4. Now, we have two lawsuits that are on-going that are taking time and money on both sides, to litigate alleged violations of the Open Meetings Act and the Administrative Procedures Act for stuff that has been going on under Ron Warrens leadership, and this year with Director Susewind's apparent blessing.

So, this begs the questions. How can Director Susewind put out an internal memo which states such inconsistencies as having such a large budget shortfall, yet creating two new FTE's which are both exceptionally high paying positions? Creating more layers of bureaucracy seldom results in better management results.

Then there is the case of appointing (promoting) Ron Warren into one of those lucrative positions! For Christ Sake, this guy is neck deep in crap. He managed to be instrumental in having his prior boss fired and now has two lawsuits over process's that he directly oversees! This on top of the fact that many, many of the dirty masses don't trust the guy as far as they can throw him.

Clearly, Director Susewind is floundering in his role, and leaning on the likes of Ron Warren to keep him afloat. But, unless Kelly takes some smart pills really soon, he is probably destined to the same fate Jim Unsworth found.

Perhaps the Director can visit the field, talk to the dirty masses and get some real world input. He has a couple of choices as I see it. Continue to sit in his bubble and pet Warren on the head, or take a long hard walk outside and breath the stench from what WDFW has done and really start to fix things.

#1009945 - 06/05/19 01:24 PM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: Rivrguy]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

MMMMMM, well lets see WDFW has trouble getting funds for their inflated budget. A pubic agency, that is already "top heavy" with nod your head, yes people, so you do a re-shuffle of WDFW top people AND THEN WANT TO HIRED 2 MORE, wow something is so wrong with this picture.

Sports people, in general, not overly happy about the everyday running of this State agency...….so you want to spend more money on management personnel, and then come back to the very same people that buy license's, endorsements, Discover Passes and tell us, that cuts have to be made to the budget for the very things we purchase the above items in the 1st place, grrrrrrrrrrr

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1010118 - 06/07/19 04:05 PM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: Rivrguy]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

I was just talking with a friend who is out of state but thinking about attending the WDFW Commission meeting in PA next weekend. He wants to let the Commissioners know that the cost of these two new FTE positions in the Department would be enough to more than cover the cost of monitoring the Skagit steelhead fishing season. Further, he will offer to perform the co-management function that is assigned to Ron Warren for half the price. He will simply ask the tribes what they want, and then say, "OK," given that's basically what is happening these days anyway.

#1010124 - 06/07/19 05:36 PM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: Salmo g.]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Originally Posted By: Salmo g.
Further, he will offer to perform the co-management function that is assigned to Ron Warren for half the price. He will simply ask the tribes what they want, and then say, "OK," given that's basically what is happening these days anyway.

If it wasn’t so frustratingly accurate, it would be funny.

#1010184 - 06/10/19 07:59 AM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: Rivrguy]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
I find it somewhat troubling there is no mention of Bill Twiet.

Bill has been around the upper levels of WDFW a very long time, and has served in multiple positions, but mostly in a fisheries policy role (Columbia Basin mostly).

Perhaps he's heading towards retirement. If not, it's unfortunate that he is not among the leadership team.

#1010188 - 06/10/19 08:35 AM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: Rivrguy]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Drain the swamp.

#1010207 - 06/10/19 11:02 AM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: ]
bobrr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: stam
Put Swanny in charge.

At least he's an honest crook.

You can't mean the scum who was caught clipping fins on wild coho while guiding the Cowlitz, do you? That was about as honest as the crap that WDFW gives us. They are all thieves! Bob R

#1010208 - 06/10/19 11:07 AM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: cohoangler]
darth baiter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: United States
Bill is pretty close to retirement. More relevant is that he has been around long enough to know to stay as far away as possible from the hot mess that is Puget Sound salmon management.p

#1010209 - 06/10/19 11:11 AM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: ]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

It is kind of like the old saying, A ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife, a moral man will not. Honesty is often in the eye of the beholder and WDF&W always regards their actions as ethical. That is the problem they miss the moral mark by a mile.

#1010210 - 06/10/19 11:31 AM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: Rivrguy]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Makes no sense.

Budget crisis and they want to add TWO new top-heavy FTE's ? And they still want RW to be the state's Czar of Salmon Policy? With even more power added to his position? J F C!

This agency is in a tailspin with no direction. This will NOT end well.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1010211 - 06/10/19 11:50 AM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: eyeFISH]
_WW_ Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Skagit
Originally Posted By: eyeFISH

This agency is in a tailspin with no direction. This will NOT end well.

Which, if it hits the wall like a speeding freight train might be the best thing.

#1010220 - 06/10/19 02:58 PM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: ]
bobrr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: bobrr
Put Swanny in charge.

At least he's an honest crook.

You can't mean the scum who was caught clipping fins on wild coho while guiding the Cowlitz, do you? That was about as honest as the crap that WDFW gives us. They are all thieves! Bob R

I can mean the scum that was caught clipping fins on the cowlitz...and that was my point.

Not much difference between him and those taking our money to do worse.

Ther's a LOT of diff. He is a poaching thief, and doing it from a guide's perspective.A personal low from my point of view. Bob R

#1010223 - 06/10/19 03:54 PM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: ]
bobrr
Unregistered

As long as we give the state workers the golden ticket, they'll use it, time for some backlash, just calling it as I see it.

Not saying Swan is good, just saying those arrogant state employees we pay to rip us off are doing as much, or, more damage.

Just a difference in opinion of what we are willing to abide.

I can abide less and less all the time.

I'm sorry, but this is the only fishing subject you've posted on in over three pages of your personal posts. I didn't need to go further into your post history then that to see where you're coming from. I could see why you would like Swanny more then any hard working govt. employee. They are not all thieves in spite of your opinion. Swanny is a convicted thief stealing our resources directly. Although you certainly are entitled to post where ever you like,it seems you lurk on the mostly political sections so your personal opinions reflect more of someone coming from a generally anti- govt. place, doesn't mean much to me compared to people that attend meetings and mostly post about fishing or direct fishing topics, just sayin' , glad I stay away from that section. Nothin' but a lot of trolls. Bob R

#1010225 - 06/10/19 04:05 PM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: ]
bobrr
Unregistered

I never implied that you "like" Swanny, just that you prefer his type of theft to govt. employees at large. Just what I get from reading your posts. They do live on, you know. Just sayin' Bob

#1010261 - 06/10/19 10:26 PM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: ]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Bobrr you either work for a government agency or are the most uninformed person posting on PP. WDF&W is at the least totally inept, at the worse totally corrupt. Sure many decent folks work for WDFW but it is a system and you toe the company line or bad things happen. The culture of WDFW has withstood directors, citizens, and the commission as it resisted change and allowed every element of natural resources under its prevue to crash. Your defending the undefendable.

#1010262 - 06/10/19 11:18 PM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: Rivrguy]
bobrr
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Rivrguy
Bobrr you either work for a government agency or are the most uninformed person posting on PP. WDF&W is at the least totally inept, at the worse totally corrupt. Sure many decent folks work for WDFW but it is a system and you toe the company line or bad things happen. The culture of WDFW has withstood directors, citizens, and the commission as it resisted change and allowed every element of natural resources under its prevue to crash. Your defending the undefendable.

I consider the leadership to be the problem, not the guys in the field or the folks that have no decision-making capabilities. Throw out the folks like Ron Warren, but don't put all govt. employees in the same cesspool as the folks who run the show. Maybe you have had the ability in jobs that you have held to tell the people in charge of your paycheck to go [Bleeeeep!] themselves, but most have families and bills. If you know anything about me (and you really don't) you would know that I don't and never have worked for ANY govt. agency. I just think that people like "Stam" are blatently against all govt. agencies and employees as you can see from his many posts and whose opinions are formed from a thinking process that says all govt. is evil. If you feel that the agency is totally fuc*ked from top to bottom why bother with the process at all? I certainly wouldn't even bother if I was as jaded as you seem to be. Don't go to meetings if that's the way you feel. Why talk to people you consider to be totally corrupt or totally inept? Otherwise you are just seem to be a hypocrite. And you know, all people seem to do is discuss politics and bitch about lack of leadership and lack of fish on this forum. Lots of fish being caught and nobody reports on them anymore. Seems like a fishing forum would have some actual fish stories. bob R

Edited by bobrr (06/10/19 11:22 PM)

#1010267 - 06/11/19 06:25 AM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: Rivrguy]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

I don't blame any of the people at WDFW actually doing work on the ground. They don't make decisions, so they're not to blame. The leadership that does make the decisions is responsible, but only to the extent they're doing what they're told by their own leadership. Appointees to public office don't tend to do anything to upset their appointers, lest they no longer hold those appointments.

So, to find those truly responsible for sport fishing in WA heading down the crapper (fast), we must look above the Department level. Right now, that points to the Fish and Wildlife Commission. I think the recent decision to reverse the Columbia management plan to prioritize recs demonstrated, very clearly, that body's potential to be politically influenced. Their influencers are the ultimate deciders of WDFW policy. Find and destroy those people (or outspend them on lobbying), and we might get some favorable policy once in a while. Until then, those people will influence whatever process is in place to set policy to their liking.

#1010273 - 06/11/19 07:01 AM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: Rivrguy]
bobrr
Unregistered

The people on the commission that are supportive of recreational fishing are in the minority and that is the way the governor likes it. You know, the scumbag that is running for president (running all the way to the bank using our money is more like it). The commercial and tribal lobbying forces have more impact then we ever will. Until enough people express their frustration by going to meetings IN FORCE (that means at least 10 times more folks at EVERY commission meeting, calling these people out in public loud and hard enough with specifics for every bad decision they make and vote for and they will quit their appointed jobs. Phil Anderson couldn't take it and that was when only a handful of folks would personally call him out for making decisions that lined his own pocket. Of course the state rewarded him with a cushy job as a "consultant", further screwing us at N.O.F. meetings. It never ends until the villagers surround the castle with pitchforks and torches screaming "Burn the Monster!" Bob R

#1010285 - 06/11/19 08:58 AM Re: CHANGES IN WDFW [Re: ]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

This thread was about changes in WDF&W, or lack of. WDFW is no different than any entity, it has good folks, OK folks, and some of the others. ( you pick the term ) It utilizes a system of operation that requires staff to comply with it and those that do not face consequences. As I have said before WDFW has a culture of how things work and are validated. I have found that most staff are descent folk just doing a job the best they can but it is the system they operate in that is broken. Each time a new Director is chosen ( I have known many starting with Bill Wilkerson ) great expectations are out and about only to be crushed as nothing changes even when the top level staff do. It is the system and the processes it employs to reach the mid and upper levels that prunes out the non believers. Effective change can not and will not come from inside the agency but rather must come from the outside be it proactive or burn the house down. After 38 years of interaction I lean toward burn the house down. Rant over and off the stump.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
3 registered (stonefish, eddie, 20 Gage), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645295 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |