Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1010720 - 06/20/19 11:18 AM I’m done
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
After decades of living on the water on the west side I’ve packed up and moved to the east, almost to Spokane, here on the shore of the Spokane River.

I hope the recent article posted by cobble cruiser plays out and we get a run of salmon and steelhead back to this area. Right now I catch large trout and walleye from the beach, haven’t put a boat in the water yet. We do have some land locked chinook, but I haven’t seen them. The Spokane river had a run of huge chinook and steelhead until the dam was built.

I didn’t buy a license last year, but did this year, just a basic freshwater license, haven’t done that in decades. I got tired of going to NOF and other meetings just to be given lip service on fisheries that are spiraling down and out of control.

I will say that crawdads are abundant, full pots are the norm, again, from beach in front of the house. Fresh walleye, trout and crawdads make an excellent BBQ.

I live out in the sticks, with elk, deer, moose, bobcat, cougar, bear and wolves. I had most of those at the other place too (house on the Skykomish), but the wolves and moose are new to me. Any time we go for walks we have bear spray and a pistol, lots of predators around all the time.

#1010721 - 06/20/19 11:24 AM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Pics wouldn’t post, but I have a bunch.

Wolf tracks are incredibly large, especially when you find fresh ones near your house. With more than 20 deer kills within about 1/2 of my house. I’m sure these are spread between cougar, coyote and wolves.

Bull moose are rather intimidating too, and having them in the yard makes it more sporty.

#1010722 - 06/20/19 11:53 AM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Sounds great. Probably a lot of wild turkey (feathered and bottled?) around too.

#1010724 - 06/20/19 12:08 PM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
LOL - I just chased a young buck and doe down the cul-de-sac to the opening in the neighbor's fence allowing them to get into the next neighborhood. Just trying to protect my little suburban garden and flowers (most with netting). Talk about those critters being habituated......

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1010726 - 06/20/19 12:34 PM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

If I wasn't tied down with a job, I'd move east quick. Maybe further east to Idaho or Montana. I'd make a couple trips a year to get my salmon/tuna/bottom fish fix in and never look back.

#1010727 - 06/20/19 12:38 PM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

I only need to be near a good sized airport, now I’m spoiled, the Spokane airport is so much easier fly in and out of compared to Sea Tac, and no traffic getting to it.

#1010730 - 06/20/19 01:10 PM Re: I’m done [Re: wsu]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: wsu
If I wasn't tied down with a job, I'd move east quick. Maybe further east to Idaho or Montana. I'd make a couple trips a year to get my salmon/tuna/bottom fish fix in and never look back.

Moscow? Lots of vague memories there......

Go Cougs!

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1010733 - 06/20/19 01:31 PM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Congrats on the move !
Cannot imagine having to deal with Seattle traffic on a daily basis.

#1010735 - 06/20/19 02:43 PM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

I’ve got a bunch of pics, but they aren’t uploaded to a location where they can be posted here.

#1010737 - 06/20/19 03:19 PM Re: I’m done [Re: Larry B]
wsu Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Originally Posted By: wsu

Moscow? Lots of vague memories there......

Go Cougs!

Some of the areas in northern Idaho are pretty dang nice, including the Palouse region (and the Washington side as well). Montana is nice too.

Go Cougs!

#1010743 - 06/20/19 04:49 PM Re: I’m done [Re: Direct-Drive]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

Originally Posted By: Direct-Drive
Congrats on the move !
Cannot imagine having to deal with Seattle traffic on a daily basis.

Yes congrats! End of an era for sure. Where am i supposed to go when i forget my net now?

I dont blame ya, be on the eastside in a heartbeat if i could! Good for you J!

#1010744 - 06/20/19 04:57 PM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

I can be located anywhere from Mexico to Canada and inland a couple of states. I searched all regions that were within a radius around an airport that I could easily fly in and out of.

Had to look at local economies, cost of housing, taxes, what was available for outdoor activities, plus, and this was a big one, the weather.

Everything kept coming back to the Spokane area, although other regions were very attractive, the taxes on retirement income was high, Washington doesn’t tax them.

Where I was on the Sky received almost 60” of rain per year, here it’s 16”, a nice change. Cost of housing is dirt cheap where I’m located compared to most other areas, even some some that way out in the sticks.

#1010752 - 06/20/19 06:50 PM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
Sebastes Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Monroe,WA.
Oh Man I am going to miss you my good friend, So will Virgel and I expect Doug Smith. We had some good years. Last year was the first time in 54 years as a Washington resident that I did not buy a fishing license, partially due to some back problems, but also due to limited fishing ops. Dave Vedder moved to Wenatchee last year. I guess I may have come visiting you guys.

#1010754 - 06/20/19 07:01 PM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

I’ll miss you and Virgel too, at least on our last trip we (Virgel) got first place in the Coho derby.

You are always welcome, we can have a good BBQ.

I’ll call you and stop by the next time I’m in town.

#1010766 - 06/21/19 06:48 AM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

Their is some really good trout fishing in your area. The one thing the WDFW does right over there is plant fish. Jumbows, catchables, and fingerlings that grow wild. I have a retired friend that lives in Spokane and is dialed in fly fishing for them. He fishes all over 3-4 times a week. I spent more time this spring over there because of the lower Columbia Springer closure and glad I did. 2-10# bows are a blast on a 3 and 5 wt, and on a good day you can have 30+ fish day catch and release. Pontoon boats are a huge advantage. Most lakes have easy access with few crowds. Take advantage of it! The only thing that you have to work around are the heavy wind days. But then you need a break anyway.

#1010850 - 06/22/19 06:15 AM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

So here’s a little more to the story

I moved from my place on the Sky, which I loved, I was going to happily retire there, to the Spokane River Arm of Lake Roosevelt, it was a big change.

Snohomish County bought my property to turn it back into natural terrain, they plan to demo everything in the next week or so. I sold it to them at well below market value for that purpose.

The new adventure on the East side of the state has begun. I found a remote place several miles down a dusty dirt road, right on the water again. This place is amazingly quiet, with cool nights and sunny days, I get up early to sit on the deck and watch the sun come up, this morning the Turkeys made there rounds and some trout are jumping, plus the coffee is hot.

A friend came over to stay for a few days, he brought his young son along to experience the outdoors. Yesterday we hiked and found deer carcasses that had been picked clean, young boys love bones. Then did a little fishing. Today we’ll look for sheds, bones, tracks, check the game cams, then prepare a fish and crawdad BBQ.

Then start another adventure tomorrow.

#1010861 - 06/22/19 08:40 AM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
BEANCOUNTER Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Bothell
Good for you, that area is a sportsmans paradise. We will be over for a week starting tomorrow...bass and walleye fishing. If you see a gray crestliner with a canvas and full of rug rats, give us a waive. Congrats on the move.

#1010866 - 06/22/19 09:12 AM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Originally Posted By: ondarvr
So here’s a little more to the story

I moved from my place on the Sky, which I loved, I was going to happily retire there, to the Spokane River Arm of Lake Roosevelt, it was a big change.

Snohomish County bought my property to turn it back into natural terrain, they plan to demo everything in the next week or so. I sold it to them at well below market value for that purpose.

The new adventure on the East side of the state has begun. I found a remote place several miles down a dusty dirt road, right on the water again. This place is amazingly quiet, with cool nights and sunny days, I get up early to sit on the deck and watch the sun come up, this morning the Turkeys made there rounds and some trout are jumping, plus the coffee is hot.

A friend came over to stay for a few days, he brought his young son along to experience the outdoors. Yesterday we hiked and found deer carcasses that had been picked clean, young boys love bones. Then did a little fishing. Today well look for sheds, bones, tracks, check the game cams, then prepare a fish and crawdad BBQ.

Then start another adventure tomorrow.

You are living the dream, sir. Congratulations.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#1010885 - 06/22/19 08:15 PM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
WTG...it's sad that change happens...but glad you took it on the chin and made the most of it!

I'm very happy I got to experience the West side rivers in the early 80's through the early 2000's. Haven't had the urge to go back for steelhead. I'll stay on the East side, except for an Ocean or B-10 trip.

#1010889 - 06/22/19 10:04 PM Re: I’m done [Re: ondarvr]
Capt Downriggin' Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Rogue River
I was done three years ago... Sold everything and headed to California to be closer to family for a wee bit. Saved a ton of money and now we live on the banks of the Rogue River....

I don't miss Washington at all!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1083 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645291 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |