THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1010266 - 06/11/19 06:02 AM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Lifter99 Offline
Returning Adult

To help the crab stocks recover, maybe the tribes should use artificial crab for ceremonial and subsistence for a few years. Sorry, my attempt at humor.

#1010422 - 06/13/19 09:02 AM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Received this from a friend:

"I came across this yesterday during my routine "oversight" of the local NAs...the opening portion of the decree jumped off the page at me. Discussed "telephonically" on June 29th?--that hasn't even happened yet!! Putting the whole thing in perspective, I'm feeling as though this is more than just grist for mill. Referencing a "telephone call" after a "lack of agreement" caught my attention right from the get go.
note the date--WDFW had"delayed" going public re: Puget Sound Rec crab seasons up until just a few days back. The entire lower half of Hood Canal has been barren of Dungeness crab for over three years, and that's a fact..the upper half has been subject to nearly the same plight, but has been included in WDFW's seasonal options. My concern is this: how do you unilaterally open a 48 hr. COMMERCIAL AND SUBSISTENCE Tribal crabbing season estimated to see ten boats (?) employee thirty five pots each, and do so while professing adherence to resource conservation and sustained yield harvest? Furthermore, how can this be construed as anything more than outright greed and usurped authority that ignores any semblance of Co-Management?

The upper half of HC opens to crabbing on or about July 4th...good luck, Rec crabbers."

Skok Tribal Crab Announcement

#1010460 - 06/13/19 10:25 PM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: Bay wolf]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Bay wolf
Received this from a friend:

"I came across this yesterday during my routine "oversight" of the local NAs...the opening portion of the decree jumped off the page at me. Discussed "telephonically" on June 29th?--that hasn't even happened yet!! Putting the whole thing in perspective, I'm feeling as though this is more than just grist for mill. Referencing a "telephone call" after a "lack of agreement" caught my attention right from the get go.
note the date--WDFW had"delayed" going public re: Puget Sound Rec crab seasons up until just a few days back. The entire lower half of Hood Canal has been barren of Dungeness crab for over three years, and that's a fact..the upper half has been subject to nearly the same plight, but has been included in WDFW's seasonal options. My concern is this: how do you unilaterally open a 48 hr. COMMERCIAL AND SUBSISTENCE Tribal crabbing season estimated to see ten boats (?) employee thirty five pots each, and do so while professing adherence to resource conservation and sustained yield harvest? Furthermore, how can this be construed as anything more than outright greed and usurped authority that ignores any semblance of Co-Management?

The upper half of HC opens to crabbing on or about July 4th...good luck, Rec crabbers."

Skok Tribal Crab Announcement

Sportiest will once again get the scraps as the tribes sweep it clean before July 4th

Tribal Crab opening in Hood Canal is scheduled for: Noon, Thursday June 27 to Noon Saturday June 29

#1010506 - 06/15/19 10:36 AM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: ned]
the_chemist Offline
Parr

Can I get a source on the 5 tons disparity please?

#1010509 - 06/15/19 01:24 PM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: the_chemist]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: the_chemist
Can I get a source on the 5 tons disparity please?

I believe Ned obtained that information directly from WDFW as it is not available on required annual report to the Commission. Here is a link to the report for the 2017 season:
https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/...esentation.pdf.

FYI before the emergence of the new WDFW web site one could find the annual reports back 10-12 years via the Commission's web page. What with the new (and not better) web site the records of their meetings is available back only to 2017 which simply doesn't cut it. Supposedly they will be fleshing out with more historical information as time ticks by......waiting, waiting and waiting some more.

In my opinion there should information for each management area which shows the initial agreement between co-managers as to the harvestable poundage plus any in-season adjustments plus the final harvest numbers by State and tribal crabbers.

That is of particular concern when a rec season is being cut back because of a prior year over harvest.

Another observation of concern is the split of the State's harvest between rec and commercial. If you go to the pertinent slide showing such information over a number of years it is apparent that non-tribal commercial crabbers are taking a higher percentage of the State's share to the detriment of the recreational crabbers.

Commission and managers should be looking at the NT commercial harvest numbers in MA 8-1, 8-2 and 9; seasons which have run from 1 Oct into late Jan or even February in recent years. And to the extent that recs have not come close to taking the State's share in those areas do they really need to compile summer harvest numbers before opening a winter season in those areas? Maybe just open the winter season the day after the summer season closes and implement an emergency closure if necessary when summer numbers are compiled.

Edited by Larry B (06/15/19 01:32 PM)

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1010911 - 06/23/19 12:24 PM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: Larry B]
Lucky Louie Offline
Carcass

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Originally Posted By: Lifter99
Now that Area 11 and 13 are closed to sport crabbing are the tribes and/or NI commercials going to be fishing these areas this year?

As I understand it the tribes will not have commercial fisheries in those areas but will have limited ceremonial and subsistence fisheries.

They have been crabbing up here and unloading at the Everett Boat ramp for their open June days, good luck to those that plan on the rec. opener in July.

Pretty good size but not filled out with meat was the complaint by the buyers while filling their semi refrigeration trailers or refrigeration trucks.

No you can’t have my rights---I’m still using them

#1010929 - 06/23/19 10:59 PM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: Lucky Louie]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Was supposed to attend a family dinner, this evening, where fresh dungeness crab was the main course. Eight crab were needed so I looked around here for a source. Checked three grocery stores; only one had crab. They were small, previously frozen and $9.95 a pound. My son checked the seafood store near his place at midweek. They had none, but told him to come back on the weekend. When he returned, live dungies were available at $19.95 a pound. These crabs averaged 2 1/2 to 3 pounds each. At roughly $20 a pound, the eight crabs were going to cost $50 to $60 apiece, for a total bill of $400-$480.

Everyone at the dinner enjoyed their beef tenderloin...

#1010940 - 06/24/19 10:12 AM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Wow, $19.95/# would be impossible to swallow. While crab prices fluctuate quite a bit over a year the general trend is for much higher prices which is what keeps the Puget Sound NT commercial crabbers (think MA 8-1, 8-2 and 9) going even though their harvest rate is pretty low.

#1010977 - 06/25/19 03:11 PM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Chip Goodhue Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Kitsap County
Anyone know how the rec catch in A-10 has varied over the last few years. My experience in 2018 was that the crabs largely disappeared from central A-10, and overall pressure fell off over the season since the crabbing sucked. 2017 summer and the short fall season in 2017 were really good, then the crab seemed to just vanish in 2018. Hard to believe there was rec over harvest in A-10 in 2018.

#1011080 - 06/27/19 02:47 PM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: Chip Goodhue]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Chip Goodhue
Anyone know how the rec catch in A-10 has varied over the last few years. My experience in 2018 was that the crabs largely disappeared from central A-10, and overall pressure fell off over the season since the crabbing sucked. 2017 summer and the short fall season in 2017 were really good, then the crab seemed to just vanish in 2018. Hard to believe there was rec over harvest in A-10 in 2018.

We are on the cusp of the 2019 season and WDFW Staff have yet to present their required annual report to the Commission on the prior year's crab season.

That is further hampered by the fact that the new and (not) improved website has dropped most of the historical Commission years so one cannot even dig through their prior meetings to find the annual crab reports. Available are meetings in 2017, 2018 and 2019 to current.

The 2017 recreational harvest in MA 10 (crab area 4) appears to have been around 50K pounds (page 9 of the report https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/...resentation.pdf).

The 2016 recreational harvest there appears to have been right at 250K pounds (page 9 of the report https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/...resentation.pdf).

FWIW keep in mind that MA 11 and 13 were both closed in 2018 so it is reasonable to conclude that that caused some additional pressure on MA 10.

Edit: The next regularly scheduled Commission meeting is 2/3 August in Olympia. If Staff doesn't make a presentation during that session the next Commission meeting is 13/14 September in Winthrop - don't think those folks will be much interested in a P.S. crabbing report.

Edited by Larry B (06/27/19 02:59 PM)

#1011362 - 07/05/19 08:19 AM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: RUNnGUN]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Pretty decent crabbing yesterday on the opener.
Way better then the past two years.
Some 7”+ crabs in the limits my buddy and I got yesterday.
SF

#1011383 - 07/05/19 12:59 PM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: stonefish]
Steelheadman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Poulsbo, WA,USA
Originally Posted By: stonefish
Pretty decent crabbing yesterday on the opener.
Way better then the past two years.
Some 7”+ crabs in the limits my buddy and I got yesterday.
SF

That's pretty good. Buddy and I each got one keeper today after a 24 hour soak. I gave him mine. Tons of crab buoys. Lots of females and rock crab in the traps. I drove out to the res last week and I saw a tribal crabber hauling traps. Numbers have really gone down the past couple of years.

#1011388 - 07/05/19 01:43 PM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: RUNnGUN]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Saw a local grocery store advertising "FRESH" Dungeness crab this week. They were $8.99 a pound, contingent on weather and availability. Haven't checked back to see if they actually got any in. We bought a couple earlier in the season; they were semi-soft and half filled out with low quality meat. Fool me once...

#1011423 - 07/06/19 08:14 PM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Three of us had a total of six pots out during the incoming tides on Thursday and Friday; six keepers on Thursday and two on Friday. That was as poor an opener we've had in years in 8-2. Hoping that next week with lower water flows it will be a bit better......

I saw crab in the market last week at $10.99/# so I guess we've already paid for our licenses.

#1011428 - 07/07/19 08:12 AM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: RUNnGUN]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Got a couple more yesterday while hillbilly crabbing.
Bait box full of chicken wired to a garden stake.
Fun to watch the crabs emerge from deeper water following the scent trail on their journey to some boiling water.
Caught some nice cutts while waiting for the crabs to make their appearance.

The opener limits we got Thursday came from walking eel grass flats with trout nets.
Damn near as fun as fishing and one hell of a leg workout.
SF

#1011429 - 07/07/19 08:18 AM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: Larry B]
Blktailhunter Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Larry B
Three of us had a total of six pots out during the incoming tides on Thursday and Friday; six keepers on Thursday and two on Friday. That was as poor an opener we've had in years in 8-2. Hoping that next week with lower water flows it will be a bit better......

I saw crab in the market last week at $10.99/# so I guess we've already paid for our licenses.

We too dropped 6 pots on the opener. 9 hour soak for 11 just legal keepers and and handful of softies. Rebaited and soaked over night. Only 7 the next morning. Our worst opener ever. I really think the geoduck divers, that have been hitting the area hard the last several years and were at it again Friday morning are affecting crabbing. On the Friday pull we had 4 empty pots. Bait (horse clams) wasn’t even touched.

Edited by Blktailhunter (07/07/19 08:19 AM)

#1011437 - 07/07/19 12:13 PM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: stonefish]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Originally Posted By: stonefish
Got a couple more yesterday while hillbilly crabbing.
Bait box full of chicken wired to a garden stake.
Fun to watch the crabs emerge from deeper water following the scent trail on their journey to some boiling water.
Caught some nice cutts while waiting for the crabs to make their appearance.

The opener limits we got Thursday came from walking eel grass flats with trout nets.
Damn near as fun as fishing and one hell of a leg workout.
SF

Always enjoyed the boatless crabbing techniques...rings/pots off docks and trestles, castable crab catchers and wading the eel grass flats. We used to stay for a month in Westport each summer. Then, we could catch a limit on almost any low tide by wading the flats of Half Moon Bay. That technique combined the "thrill of the hunt" with the fun of catching crab. Your last statement sums it up perfectly.

I used a garden cultivator tool for catching the crab. It had a five foot handle and four five inch tines. The tines were dull and wouldn't puncture a crab's shell. This poor man's crab rake worked well to pull buried crab out of the sand; when you found a crab scurrying to get away, you could corner it and it would clamp onto the tines...game over! Once when wading, I was seeing nothing, nada. I must have banged the rake on the bottom, because the sand around my feet exploded with dozens of legal sized crab, all heading for the deepwater of the bay. It was like flushing a covey of quail, but only having a single shot shotgun.

Going to have to try your "hillbilly crabbing" technique. Anybody have suggestions for keeping crab alive for longer periods, when you can't cook them promptly and you have aways to go before you can process them.

#1011440 - 07/07/19 07:27 PM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: RUNnGUN]
stonefish Offline
King of the Beach

Cedar,
Since I’m generally wading when crabbing, I put them in a Costco plastic garbage sack or mess bag that I tie to my wading belt.
Their claws puncture enough holes in the plastic bag that they get good water circulation from being in the water the entire time.
Once I get back to the rig, I put them in a cooler with a small bit of ice.
After leaving the beach and waiting in the ferry line it was a couple hours until I got home yesterday.
Both were still well alive and ready to do battle when I got home and took them out of the bag.
Hope this helps.
SF

#1011441 - 07/07/19 07:48 PM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: stonefish]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Thanks, stonefish. I used a wet burlap bag to drag them around in the water and back to camp. It took about 30 minutes to run back to camp; another 30 minutes to get the crabs in boiling water. If I bring them back to Olympia, I'd probably have to keep them alive for three hours.

#1011444 - 07/08/19 06:33 AM Re: When Will PS Crab Seasons Be Announced? [Re: RUNnGUN]
Take-Down Offline
Juvenile at Sea

We manage to keep them alive in a cooler for about four hours. As noted, don't submerge them in water. Let them breath normal air, we prop the door open. And also as noted above, keep them cool. we usually wet a towel with salt water and ring it out over them. I also think they last longer when right side up vs upside down but I could be wrong about that. We did fine in MA 10 over the last few days. Not 'great' like some past openers but consistent with about a 2.5 keeper per pot. Not many lunkers, maybe just 2 or 3 all weekend. Shallower pots did better--probably because of the big tidal exchange. For the first time, I saw several really tiny little baby crabs on the edge of our boat and gear (multiple days, but mostly same area)--like pencil eraser size (smaller than the crabs on the beach that come out from under rocks). Anyone else see those tiny crab?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |