LURECHARGE!

THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1021212 - 01/31/20 05:28 PM Things that make ya go Ummmmm?
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
How many of you have seen this?

Let's Fully Fund WDFW Petition

Many of the organizations that have signed on to this are predictable.

#1021217 - 01/31/20 06:32 PM Re: Things that make ya go Ummmmm? [Re: Bay wolf]
RtndSpawner Offline
Parr

Loc: Mason
Any input on what the Budget and Policy Group (BPAG) was or is?

#1021258 - 02/01/20 11:15 AM Re: Things that make ya go Ummmmm? [Re: Bay wolf]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Thanks for posting that Bay wolf. Yes, I saw it a week or two ago. All I can say is that just because WDFW has snookered 45 organizations into pissing away millions of dollars in public funds doesn't make it right. Occasionally the majority is wrong.

Fully funding a state agency to conform with its confirmation bias without any kind of objective performance audit pretty well assures that public funds will be misspent and wasted. I still want WDFW to explain why it is in the public interest for them to spend $93 million in public funds to raise hatchery salmon for Canada, commercial, and treaty fishing other than to respond with, ". . . well we have many diverse obligations . . ." How's about a benefit : cost audit that tells the public what they're getting for their money, for starters? And the list could go on and on.

#1021264 - 02/01/20 12:02 PM Re: Things that make ya go Ummmmm? [Re: Bay wolf]
Bay wolf Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Graham, WA
Noticed that the State Board for Puget Sound Anglers in on that signatures list. Just curious if this was a consensus decision from its membership?

#1021337 - 02/02/20 10:58 AM Re: Things that make ya go Ummmmm? [Re: Bay wolf]
FleaFlickr02 Offline
River Nutrients

There's no denying that as costs of doing business increase (they do constantly), it becomes increasingly insolvent to deliver the same level of service without more capital (revenue in the government context) invested. From that perspective, WDFW certainly needs more money from us on occasion. Under the right circumstances, most of us would be more willing to pony up.

To Salmo g.'s point, years of only shrinking opportunity doesn't generate much customer appetite to provide the investment necessary. Over time, it becomes an untenable situation seeking a quid for a quo that is never delivered. It's not entirely WDFW's fault, but their management certainly hasn't behaved like they're trying very hard to convince us they are worthy of the investment. It's a vicious cycle, to be sure....

#1021354 - 02/02/20 02:22 PM Re: Things that make ya go Ummmmm? [Re: Bay wolf]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...

I agree but that doesn't mean you "create new positions" and continue to not have a hiring freeze.

I'm now on the "fixed income" part of my life.....just thankful that there are no house, car, or other large payments. The normal monthly payments are on the ever increase, with limited benefit to me......and NO WAY to freeze them without losing what I already have.....grrrrrrrrrrr

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1021733 - 02/07/20 09:52 AM Re: Things that make ya go Ummmmm? [Re: Bay wolf]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Relying on license sales in the current environment is a recipe for continued animosity and decreased (albeit often ineffective) support of what we love. I think tapping the general fund is one of the only ways forward for it to remain solvent.

I understand folks' sentiment to want a complete defund/teardown/re-org midstream, in terms of how WDFW does business, but it just doesn't seem like a reasonable plan A right now,

fb

#1021734 - 02/07/20 10:01 AM Re: Things that make ya go Ummmmm? [Re: Bay wolf]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The slope is slippery. Moving to GFS removes/reduces the direct input of the consumptive user.

I started out in WDG, pretty much entirely fee-based. And was made clear from day 1 that we worked for the license holders. Our job was to provide them with fish to catch. Conservation was somewhat secondary to harvest.

I moved to WDF, they were GFS-based. I think, back then, that their licenses were free. In any case, the mindset my workgroup had was that the escapement goal was sacrosanct. IF we met or exceeded it then we would preserve fisheries. We had this mindset because we were employed by the whole State, just not the users.

WDFW needs major help interns of funding, not only the sources but the amounts. They need a wholesale change in management paradigms and accountability.

I am not for simply giving this group more money and hoping (as Sen. Collins said) "they learned their lesson". We need a reasonable idea of how to get the change we need accomplished.

#1021746 - 02/07/20 01:23 PM Re: Things that make ya go Ummmmm? [Re: Bay wolf]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Interesting perspective, as usual from you, thank you for your contributions here. I would be fine with conservation-first, harvest (evenly shared) second. I'm just one user though.

It seems like it would be good for the whole populace to have some skin in the game in terms of funding. DFW is in the whale-feeding business. Everybody loves a good whale. I mean, have you seen how cute those things are?

fb

#1021754 - 02/07/20 02:37 PM Re: Things that make ya go Ummmmm? [Re: Bay wolf]
slabhunter Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Sheltona Beach
I believe more funding is needed from the Feds. A significant percentage of the impacts has already been taken by the federal government, offshore and treaties.

The managers also fail to see how offshore MSY take of forage also effects things up the food chain.

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 1107 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645292 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |