Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102236 - 11/14/02 01:21 PM changing tactics
flyboy Offline
Alevin

Loc: Isaaquah WA
I am liking this addition for those of us who like to fling fly's. How about this to stir up some discussion.

At what point in the season do you switch from summer tactics to winter tactics for steelhead? Is it strickly a water condition thing that forces the use of sink tips or does it have more to do with the race of fish? I am guessing this weekend the water will look like the winter sinktip situation that I am used to, however the fish are likley the same as those I targeted near the surface. Do I stay near the top and assume they are looking up or go dredging for them? When and why do you change up tactics?

Cheers!!

flyboy
(generally just a lurker of the boards, psyched to have a fly forum)

#102237 - 11/14/02 03:31 PM Re: changing tactics
PFunk Offline
Fry

Loc: Bellevue,Wa,USA
You should probably change tactics when the first winter runs start to show up. I think it's more about the conditions now. With water levels rising and clarity decreasing a dry fly would be out of the fishes window. By swinging a fly behind a sink tip you're back in their zone.

In bigger rivers I can swing a fly in the deeper holes year around. But I look for lower levels and the right holding water to throw a dry. You find that later summer and fall.This holding water looks a lot different with winter rains.

I think it would be cool if we had success for winter runs on a dry. But I think I'll stay with the odds and keep it wet. umbrella

#102238 - 11/16/02 05:26 PM Re: changing tactics
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Flyboy,

Winter tactics apply when conditions look like winter. Rivers have had that serious winter look for the past week now. I'm checking my sink tips and leaders, counting my marabou flies and such. Maybe need to set up the vise; I go thru a lot more flies when fishing deep sunk.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#102239 - 11/17/02 12:10 AM Re: changing tactics
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
If I am chasing after winter-run steelies, then I employ your typical winter-run tactics as in the ones that Salmo g. mentioned above.

The summer-runs will remain active and more surface orientated then winter-runs will ever be...this is especially true of Inland wild summer steelhead.

A couple weeks back, myself and a good freind had no problem raising fish to the surface fly in 39 degree water and you talk to some Thompson River regulars and they routinely hook fish on the surface in late Nov. and December when the water temps are coming close to the freezing mark and the Nicola is dumping in ice!

#102240 - 11/17/02 02:10 AM Re: changing tactics
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
I switch my tactics solely on conditions. Of course I'm not going to be swinging a big popsicle in gin clear July conditions, nor would I throw a small dark skater on a glaciel silt river an high/dark water conditions. Will this hold 100% true? Nope. I've had years where I was fishing very odd drought conditions and hitting winterruns in late Nov a couple years ago on summerrun flies.

As I said, it's all in the conditions. Unless it's a pink bunny leech, then she pretty much goes with me everywhere I go. smile

Northwest River Fisherman

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Carcassman, Clipfin, Danny Clyde, Dannyboy, dk1948, Twitch
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 865 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645361 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |