Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1027314 - 03/31/20 11:17 AM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: Carcassman]
MPM Offline
Spawner

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Carcassman

Boats with no more than two people, no closer than X feet while not fishing from a boat. It could be done, but it would be complex.

The thing is WDFW didn't even *have* to issue regulations on those details. It's already in Proclamation 20-25, which prohibits all gatherings and multi-person activities except for people in the same household.

I think WDFW's point about ESA mandates and fish-checkers is totally valid, but that doesn't require closing the entire state to fishing.

#1027324 - 03/31/20 01:23 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: deadly]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
It doesn't require blanket closure but there would be a long list of exceptions.

From so many recent years where staff have been forced to remain in their silos I doubt that there is much capacity to think outside of a toothpick box, much less one of their nuclear blast-proof silos. But that's just my view.

#1027360 - 03/31/20 05:27 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: FleaFlickr02]
cheapskate Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: FleaFlickr02
Isolation is common sense at this point, but I'm living proof you don't have to disobey the guidelines to get sick. I've been "staying the f home," but I still managed to pick up some sort of virus. Only G-I symptoms so far, but from what we're learning, Coronavirus can start out as just about anything, so I'm concerned. Really hoping I don't develop a cough or chest pain in the coming days (and yes, I'm even more holed-up than I was before).

I know this isn't what everyone wants to hear, but even self-isolation is no guarantee, against this or any illness. It's pretty obvious it gets spread by more ways than direct transfer via droplets, and there's growing suspicion it can just suspend in air for long periods of time, which makes going outside for a bike ride or run a much more risky proposition. It must be more effective at controlling spread, so we should keep doing it, but don't assume isolation is a guarantee of safety.

In case you can't tell, I'm taking this MUCH more seriously now that I'm a little sick. It all feels very real (and frightening) to me now. It's probably not reasonable (odds are it's something different), but that's what happens to a person's mindset when they're stuck at home and constantly being inundated with scary news.

Stay safe....

I hope you feel better soon.

Any idea as to what may have caused a potential exposure? Packaging from groceries? Checking the mailbox? A visitor to the home? Working in the yard downwind from some people in the neighborhood?

#1027363 - 03/31/20 05:53 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: deadly]
ondarvr Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Spokane WA
Before fishing was shut down the number trucks pulling boats from Spokane to Lake Roosevelt was crazy, as businesses shut down people headed for the water.

The two people in our county that are positive are from the west side, they came to their second homes to get away from C19. Those same people would come in larger numbers if it was open to fishing.

The county doesn’t have the infrastructure or money to handle many cases.

So yes, it needs to stay closed so people don’t travel around thinking “they” aren’t part of a potentially very big problem.

#1027379 - 04/01/20 06:58 AM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: Priority2]
Slow Boat Offline
Alevin

"Every stop for gas, food, or a restroom break can introduce the virus to areas it hasn't yet reached," said Susewind. "It was a tough decision, but we want to ensure that people are properly encouraged to stay home at this time."

#1027385 - 04/01/20 09:05 AM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: deadly]
Get Bent Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: Vashon/Grayland
Saturday before last it was a steady stream of boats on trailers from Aberdeen to Westport. The beaches were packed with folks from inland hoping to get away for the day. It became apparent quickly we weren’t listening and is the reasoning Jay/WDFG made their decision. See link below regarding China’s method for controlling the Trump (it’s just the flu) flu.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-XAZJqnFn4/?igshid=9ok3km95786y

#1027396 - 04/01/20 12:14 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: ]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Originally Posted By: Myassisdragon
But wait, there’s a game warden’s brand new bronze p/u truck also there at the same time. Hmmm, that’s twice in two daze. And we thought they were having WDFW enforcement funding issues.....

I live in rural Central Wa, within close proximity (few miles or so, varies of course) to the Northside of the Colockum Wildlife Area. We're located in the foothills, mainly cherry/apple country and hobby farms with the occasional tin can car-farmer tossed in here and there. It's a 15-20 minute drive to town and a solid 30-minute drive to the Fish Cop HQ.

Now riddle me this....Twice in the last week, I've just happened to walk out to get the mail and I ALSO noticed "Myassisdragon's game warden’s brand new bronze p/u truck" heading around the corner uphill past my place? Sure, he could be driving up to go check on the local herd of elk that wanders through the 'hood as they might be causing some havoc in an orchard (one of the drive-bys was on a Saturday, not sure of their work schedules)? I too was under the impression that there were enforcement funding issues?

I've been cooped up too long!

#1027398 - 04/01/20 12:23 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: deadly]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Maybe he lives up there?

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1027401 - 04/01/20 12:38 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: snit]
stonefish Online   content
King of the Beach

Loc: Carkeek Park
Originally Posted By: snit
But wait, there’s a game warden’s brand new bronze p/u truck also there at the same time. Hmmm, that’s twice in two daze. And we thought they were having WDFW enforcement funding issues.....

I live in rural Central Wa, within close proximity (few miles or so, varies of course) to the Northside of the Colockum Wildlife Area. We're located in the foothills, mainly cherry/apple country and hobby farms with the occasional tin can car-farmer tossed in here and there. It's a 15-20 minute drive to town and a solid 30-minute drive to the Fish Cop HQ.

Now riddle me this....Twice in the last week, I've just happened to walk out to get the mail and I ALSO noticed "Myassisdragon's game warden’s brand new bronze p/u truck" heading around the corner uphill past my place? Sure, he could be driving up to go check on the local herd of elk that wanders through the 'hood as they might be causing some havoc in an orchard (one of the drive-bys was on a Saturday, not sure of their work schedules)? I too was under the impression that there were enforcement funding issues?

Might be someone I know.
If so, you might want to flag him down and chat him up.
SF

#1027410 - 04/01/20 02:58 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: ]
King of the Beach

Originally Posted By: stonefish

Might be someone I know.
If so, you might want to flag him down and chat him up.
SF

I agree, and I think the state’s new random chat up guidelines have been updated on the .gov sites.

Lol
If it is my buddy, Snit will enjoy speaking with him.
SF

#1027445 - 04/01/20 08:33 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: deadly]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
I haven't noticed the marked rig while on my early morning walks yet, but that is definitely a strong possibility. Good thinking fellas!

The groundhogs in the pasture need thinning but we've been waiting for the pups to show until we start shooting. Maybe he will stop by and introduce himself when we're having some fun?

#1027449 - 04/01/20 08:55 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: snit]
King of the Beach

I haven't noticed the marked rig while on my early morning walks yet, but that is definitely a strong possibility. Good thinking fellas!

The groundhogs in the pasture need thinning but we've been waiting for the pups to show until we start shooting. Maybe he will stop by and introduce himself when we're having some fun?

Spoke with my buddy today about some plans for some August coho beach fishing.
It wasn’t him but likely another officer that lives nearby.
SF

#1028044 - 04/13/20 05:33 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: deadly]
Get Bent Offline
Juvenile at Sea

This is the way it should have gone down. Can someone please forward this to our Gov.

(Released: April 13, 2020) CONTACT: Tom Taube
Deputy Director
(907) 465-6184
Sport and Personal Use Fishing Restrictions Related to Health Mandate 012
(Juneau) - The Alaska Department of Fish and Game is informing the public that Health Mandate 012 – Intrastate Travel states “all instate travel between communities, whether resident, worker, or visitor, is prohibited unless travel is to support critical infrastructure, or for critical personal needs”. Sport and personal use fishing have not been identified as supporting critical infrastructure or a critical personal need. The purpose of this mandate is to control the movement of individuals to communities within Alaska in order to prevent, slow, and otherwise disrupt the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

Although travel between communities is prohibited under the health mandate, the public may still travel to fishing locations. When traveling to participate in sport or personal use fisheries that occur outside of their communities of residence, the public must follow these guidelines: 1) Try to find the resource you intend to pursue as close to your home residence as possible; 2) Find out local mandates in communities through which you plan to travel before you leave. You must abide by them; 3) Totally provision your trip from your community of origin. Don’t plan on buying food, drinks or even fuel (if possible) after you begin your trip and until you return home; 4) Practice social distancing while sport or personal use fishing with anyone not considered part of your immediate household, including while traveling from your community to your fishing location; and 5) Wear face coverings as suggested in Health Alert 010 issued April 3, 2020.

Adherence to these stipulations will allow Alaskans the opportunity to fish and put food on their tables while taking measures to protect public health and allow time to build needed health infrastructure. Please adhere to the stipulations to ensure these opportunities can continue. Be safe and considerate of others.

The state of Alaska will be reevaluating Health Mandate 012 on April 21, 2020 and these restrictions will be in effect until that time.

The full text of Health Mandate 012 can be found at:

https://gov.alaska.gov/home/covid19-healthmandates/

and FAQs specific to this mandate can be found at:

http://dhss.alaska.gov/dph/Epi/id/Pages/COVID-19/default.aspx

#1028049 - 04/13/20 07:31 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: deadly]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Alaska recognizes that personal use fisheries, and hunting, serve a subsistence purpose. When I was in Georgia, the statements in the regulation pamphlet clearly implied that one of the purposes of sport hunting and fishing was to put food on the table. It appears that WA does not recognize this as a use. Hunting and fishing are just for recreation.

Don't know how subsistence can become part of the reasons why seasons are opened.

#1028051 - 04/13/20 08:32 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: Carcassman]
Get Bent Offline
Juvenile at Sea

I say leave it open and leave to the local jurisdictions to make the decisions. I totally get it that Westport may not want to be overrun with Pugetropolis as several weeks back. Follow Oregon’s lead and let the individual jurisdictions make that decision to close down boat launches that get too crowded. But to close an obscure state owned tidewater boat launch where the season is actually closed; to launching a kayak for birdwatching. Really? Chucking root beer worms off the jetty when you live a mile away. Really?
Read closely the announcement from ADFG as well the Director of Oregon F&G.

Won’t you please tell the man I didn’t kill anyone just trying to have me some fun.

#1028052 - 04/13/20 09:18 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: deadly]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

I live in a private lake in a private neighborhood. Our HOA dues stock trout in the lake. Besides a couple bass fisherman that live in our community, it is rare that folks actually get out and trout fish. Makes it nice to have a locked gate and gravel put in for our boats that sit at the beach. All electric motors of course. Originally the shutdown applied to public fishing in the state of Washington. Then social media struck. A couple people on our community Facebook board started calling the Department of Fish and Wildlife and saying people were poaching and they thought that fishing was closed. Next thing you know that was bickering and arguments going on not unlike most social media forums. I called wdfw enforcement twice and they said if we are in a private Lake Community with HOA funding the fish and not wdfw paying for them, the fishing would remain open. I wrote this on the Facebook board and people wanted to know what RCW code, law, whom did i talk too yada yada. Next thing I know, the game wardens are coming around the lake and saying they're going to write citations for anybody fishing. I called back and was told the very same thing again believe it or not that the lake would be open. I finally Tracked Down the local game warden here and he said that people were complaining and that it wasn't fair blah blah blah and it wasn't long after, public and private Lakes we're closed to fishing. Coincidence? Who knows but the moral of the story is social media can really suck! I quite literally can't take my five-year-old out fishing on big private Lake that is 200 feet from my house and no one is ever on anyway. Way to go WDFW!!!

Edited by cobble cruiser (04/13/20 09:20 PM)

#1028053 - 04/13/20 09:29 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: cobble cruiser]
King of the Beach

Originally Posted By: cobble cruiser
I live in a private lake in a private neighborhood. Our HOA dues stock trout in the lake. Besides a couple bass fisherman that live in our community, it is rare that folks actually get out and trout fish. Makes it nice to have a locked gate and gravel put in for our boats that sit at the beach. All electric motors of course. Originally the shutdown applied to public fishing in the state of Washington. Then social media struck. A couple people on our community Facebook board started calling the Department of Fish and Wildlife and saying people were poaching and they thought that fishing was closed. Next thing you know that was bickering and arguments going on not unlike most social media forums. I called wdfw enforcement twice and they said if we are in a private Lake Community with HOA funding the fish and not wdfw paying for them, the fishing would remain open. I wrote this on the Facebook board and people wanted to know what RCW code, law, whom did i talk too yada yada. Next thing I know, the game wardens are coming around the lake and saying they're going to write citations for anybody fishing. I called back and was told the very same thing again believe it or not that the lake would be open. I finally Tracked Down the local game warden here and he said that people were complaining and that it wasn't fair blah blah blah and it wasn't long after, public and private Lakes we're closed to fishing. Coincidence? Who knows but the moral of the story is social media can really suck! I quite literally can't take my five-year-old out fishing on big private Lake that is 200 feet from my house and no one is ever on anyway. Way to go WDFW!!!

Confirming for your community that your private lake that the community pays for the stocking is open and folks needing to know who you spoke with etc.....
No good deed should go unpunished.
SF

#1028055 - 04/13/20 10:34 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: deadly]
OceanSun Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: North Creek
That's akin to saying you can't "harvest" a chicken you raised in your own back yard to eat. What f'n right do they have? Seriously?

I'm all for being a good citizen and staying with the program for the benefit of all but... some of this gets ridiculous!

#1028056 - 04/13/20 10:50 PM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: cobble cruiser]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
If WDFW did not stock the lake, it does not have a public access and does not require a WDFW license to be able to fish it then WDFW's closure of fishing would not apply to that lake.

Now, presumably the HOA could vote to close it but the post did not bring that into play.

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1028057 - 04/14/20 05:22 AM Re: Washington closed to fishing [Re: deadly]
Smalma Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Marysville
First let be clear I'm neither a lawyer or a game warden but WDFW/state does establish/control fishing regulations (seasons etc.) on a number on private lands. I think we would have to look no further that small streams across the region that are flowing through private lands - they all are under state fishing regulations.

Yes there are a number of waters that are privately planted with trout all of which require a planting permit from the State. As part of the permit whether the water be permitted to be planted will be under state regulations. Typically the criteria of whether the water being planted under the permit can be excepted under the permit is whether there are "state" fish in the water. Let's look at two examples 1) Some one digs a 3 acre hole in the ground creating a pond which at the time of filling has no fish. The permit may all the owner(s) to establish the rules. 2) If on the other hand on private land a lake is created by damming a small stream which has cutthroat. In this case the lake even though being planted privately would still be under state rules; it also has "state fish".

Cobble cruiser -
In other words some one should check the planting permit. If the water in question is being planted without securing the required permit (not an uncommon situation) then by default state fishing rules

Curt

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1060 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645293 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |