Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103078 - 01/22/04 11:57 AM Avid Angler Steelhead Tying Class
Mr. Twister Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: wa
I just finished the Avid Angler Steelhead Tying Class and in short, it rocked.

Nathan Keen, the manager of the store, and a fine steelhead fly fisher teaches the class. Instead of his normal class, he tried something different, we tied 8 of his favorite patterns, most of which are his patterns.

The high points were a simplified GP that he swears by, Nate's Weasel, a matuka style rabbit strip leech, Nate's Magic Series which are 3 hackled flies that are his response to spey patterns, a rhea Intruder style fly, and a few other patterns that will become part of my steelhead box.

Nate is a fine tyer with a good teaching ability. I enjoyed his class emmensely. If you have decent tying techniques, but want to learn some new ones, his class is a great way to do it.

Rob

#103079 - 01/22/04 07:33 PM Re: Avid Angler Steelhead Tying Class
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
frown I thought I was going to get the rights to a rabbit strip matuka pattern. Made one up last month that looks pretty good. I used a rabbit strip for the wing, copper witre to hold it down, angora hair yarn picked out (leech yarn) for the body, and some saddle hackle for the hackle. Is this close to his pattern?

#103080 - 01/22/04 08:00 PM Re: Avid Angler Steelhead Tying Class
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
LOL, I've had many a patterns dashed over the years as "my own". Normally almost all are an exact, or slight variation, of a known pattern. Case in point, had an old book from about same time salmon flies went to hairwings (around the 1950's). Found a few of my "private patterns" that I thought I invented on the pages (this was around 1980/81). Crushed me to say the least. So far, only a few new ones go into uncharted territory. But so many dressers out there tying for so many years, hard to come up with something truly original. But, it's the thought that counts (plus, you add your own personal touch to these patterns). I know the rabbit matuka isn't new.

Northwest River Fisherman

#103081 - 01/22/04 11:10 PM Re: Avid Angler Steelhead Tying Class
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Hey fj15,

That pattern has been around for 10-15 years. Written about by Dec Hogan in Amato's first Steelhead Flyfishing Journal sometime in the mid 90s, it's been popular ever since for ease of tying and incredible action.

FWIW,

Brian

#103082 - 01/23/04 12:02 AM Re: Avid Angler Steelhead Tying Class
Fishingjunky15 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Puyallup, WA
I just have never seen it anywhere. I might be the first to use angora hair yarn for the body. It makes it's own leech effect and pulsating action all in its self. It's almost like polar chinelle(sp) but it's natural.

#103083 - 01/23/04 12:22 AM Re: Avid Angler Steelhead Tying Class
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
...and trust me, Brian (as long as myself) can vouch for the effectiveness of the Rabbit-Matuka style of tying.

#103084 - 01/23/04 02:12 AM Re: Avid Angler Steelhead Tying Class
Mr. Twister Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: wa
Nate's Weasel is a matuka bunny pattern on a Alec Jackson 3/0 Heavy silver hook with a tail as long as the body. The body is pearl body braid, the wire copper, the bunny red with black tips, with a red schlappen collar and red guinea collar in front, and a few red krystal flash the length of the critter.

It is one honkin big fly.

#103085 - 01/23/04 02:25 AM Re: Avid Angler Steelhead Tying Class
Sparkey Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Western Washington
I've got too many Rabbit-Matuka patterns in my quiver to list and some I never will as they have produced too well for me... evil

#103086 - 01/23/04 12:40 PM Re: Avid Angler Steelhead Tying Class
BrianL Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Bothell, WA
Hmmm? I've tied em with Diamond Braid, chenielle, woven Ostrich, wool, spun maribou, straight tinsel and exotic dubbed bodies. Tinsel or wire ribbing. Any amount of flashabou or krystal to add sparkle.

Hell, you can even attach alternative color rabbit strips to the underside and create what's commonly known as the Double Bunny!

Have FUN with it. The variations are endless and are only limited by your deranged imagination and your ability to cast the monstrosities you create. laugh

#103087 - 01/23/04 01:31 PM Re: Avid Angler Steelhead Tying Class
Steelheader69 Offline
Spawner

Loc: Tacoma WA
LOL Brian. Reminds me of a flyswap I did with Sparkey. He sent some monster waddington that weighed about 5#'s. Had a hard time lifting the thing. Sent it to Fred Evans, since he has some of those monster spey rods that can handle it. But remember that thing was a good 4" long if I remember right, and wide. Can't remember the pattern off hand, but maybe Ryan can. Was one helluva big fly. LOL

I agree Brian, only limit is your own demented mind. Have been sorting out old flies, and found some that I look at and go "What was I thinking". Had one I think I should've called the "Kitchen sink". Was one I tied up for the OP rivers. Thing has about everything on it.

Northwest River Fisherman

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Alpne Dan, bjcarpetguy, red river, westcoastdayton
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 216 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63779 Topics
645379 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |