Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103517 - 07/08/04 01:53 PM North Frok Stilly
stlhd_dreaming Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: maine
Anybody been doing any good up there yet. Went up there on Sunday saw a lot of kings rising had a couple takes but nothing brought in. The Steelhead should be here by know right noe it is dead havent heard of any steel being caught

#103518 - 07/08/04 05:05 PM Re: North Frok Stilly
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: DEADWOOD

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#103519 - 07/08/04 07:40 PM Re: North Frok Stilly
mattzoid Offline
Alevin

Loc: Everett, WA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the kings moving through really spook them Steelhead off the normal spots making it more difficult to catch them.

Matt Burke

#103520 - 07/08/04 11:40 PM Re: North Frok Stilly
Old Man Offline
Spawner

Loc: Silver Star,Mt
Was there today and saw nothing. Fished the Lime Quarry hole and then the area above Bolder river. Had a couple of bumps but nothing else.

They say use bigger hooks so you don't hook any smolt. Was using a size 6 Green Butt Skunk and still hooked a smolt. But it was a LDR so no harm done

Jim

#103521 - 07/09/04 12:31 AM Re: North Frok Stilly
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Matt
In the past I've caught kings and steelhead on the same day. Where I been fishing is not where you find kings normally they most have been traveling up river.

[img]http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:VeLkiG2PPCrjzM:www.bunncapitol.com/cookbook[/img]

#103522 - 07/10/04 07:40 PM Re: North Frok Stilly
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Loc: Seattle
Been up around Deer Creek the past few weeks and it is tough. Real close to a full on brawl yesterday as the "famous" old fly guys with the deer creek cabins think they own that river. There are around 4 of them that get out by 5am EVERY day on the best run below deer creek. One of them low holed me yesterday and another guy fishing above me went ballistic and rightfully so and went down and about kicked his *&* right in the river but the guy wouldnt move. His 3 buddies then move in above you and try and force everyone out of the water...a real bunch of losers and someone will get pounded at some point this summer...anyway that is my rant on the mid north fork. The water is beautiful though and the fish should be there...

#103523 - 07/10/04 09:01 PM Re: North Frok Stilly
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
Maybe this is timely to share-

Stream Fishing Etiquette

A true fisherman goes fishing not only to catch fish but also to enjoy nature's gift of clear sweet water, the forest, and all the creatures that live in them.

He thinks of the other fellow who wants to catch fish as much as he does by:

Letting the fisherman who arrives at the pool first to finish it without interference.

Sharing the water. After a reasonable time on a pool he can either have the waiting person join him; tell him to pass through and fish below; or vacate the pool entirely in favor of the other fisherman.

Allowing the fellow fisherman room to fish so that his cast and drift are not interfered with and the fish are not disturbed.

Giving room to another fisherman who hooks a fish near him.

A TRUE FISHERMAN PRACTICES CATCH AND RELEASE IN ORDER TO CONSERVE THE FISHERY.

#103524 - 07/10/04 11:12 PM Re: North Frok Stilly
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

I agree double, I didnt even say a word to the guy that low holed me(although the next time will be different) and we were working the pool correctly. Last week the other three "famous" old guys just took that pool over, I was second in line but the first guy wouldnt move and called for his buddies to run out of the cabin, once they were out they split up the pool and THEN started to work it. I just left as there is plenty of good, secluded water to fish but the N. Fork below deer creek has become a joke in certain pools and these guys have probably been flyfishing for 50 years....

#103525 - 07/11/04 03:10 AM Re: North Frok Stilly
mattzoid Offline
Alevin

If a bunch of famous old guys came running out of their cabins and fished the same section of river that I was on, just like they had been fishing there for fifty years, I think I'd just sit my ass down and watch. But I'm just a no-name little fella who probably wouldn't be very good at pounding old guys.

Matt Burke

#103526 - 07/11/04 04:20 AM Re: North Frok Stilly
cupo Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: north sound
I fish the north fork a lot and haven't got a steelhead yet this summer. My fishing buddy lives on the river and probably fishes 3-4 mornings a week. He got one right after it opened, nothing since.

#103527 - 07/11/04 07:04 PM Re: North Frok Stilly
KerryS Offline
Juvenille at Sea

I think if the hole is so crowded that I had to fight 3 or 4 old guys to be able to cast a line I would find some where else to fish. Those old guy can be tough. Is it really worth it. I mean, you get yourself all worked up because some old fart stepped into the run before you? Sheesh, man maybe you need a different hobby.

This morning I was fishing the Deer Creek run and some old fart was fishing in front of me. The old coot got out of the run and went back in behind me. He then picked my back pocket and took a 10 pounder right off my butt. I think I should have turned around and kick his sorry grey butt out the water.

#103528 - 07/11/04 07:12 PM Re: North Frok Stilly
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

It was not me who was worked up if you can learn how to read...I dont care who you think you are first on the water works the run and then heads back to the top and comes in behind everyone else and that run can actually handle 4-5 guys if everyone does it properly. Yes, I usually do move on when it gets crowded as much of the pleasure is in the solitude and not the attitude...

#103529 - 07/11/04 09:09 PM Re: North Frok Stilly
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

#103530 - 07/12/04 11:05 AM Re: North Frok Stilly
KerryS Offline
Juvenille at Sea

Yeah I know who they are. I don't care about it much anymore. Do I like it? Not a bit. But, I go to the river to get away from all the bs. If somebody lowholes me, I say something quietly under my breath and keep fishing.

I get low holed a few times a year. I fish somewhere around 125 days a year. I might get lowholed 3 or 4 times out of that 125. Is it worth gettng upset over? Hardly.

#103531 - 07/12/04 11:21 AM Re: North Frok Stilly
summerrun Offline
Dude, where's my boat?

Hey Kerry, I did the same thing. Muttered under my breath and kept fishing. My father had flown in from Idaho and it was his birthday to boot, so this whole situation was an embarrasment more than anything. He puts in 250+days on the rivers (lucky retired guy)in Idaho, Alaska, BC, Montana, Wyoming and a few in WA and he thought the guys were serious losers and has not seen many like them on any major fly water he fishes. Best part was we had alot of other water to fish that day and he picked up a chrome deer creek hen around noon on our hike back up river. Happy Bday Dad!

#103532 - 07/12/04 01:11 PM Re: North Frok Stilly
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

"Famous old guys" at Deer Creek? Really? Are they ghosts? I ask, because I thought all the original Deer Creek regulars have died - Ken McCloud, Enos Bradner, Wes Drain, a few others whose names don't jump immediately to mind, and Walt Johnson last year.

Or is there a new generation of "famous old guys"? And who, by name and sacrosanct standing, would fish the Deer Creek beat by low-holing? In days gone by, that sort of behavior called for a serious flogging.

I haven't fished the Stilly in years, but have many fond memories of it. Is there any water left, or has it all run off now, leaving shallow riffles for the kings to snake their way upstream?

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

#103533 - 07/12/04 01:27 PM Re: North Frok Stilly
Homer2handed Offline
Repeat Spawner

Salmo g

There still two guys that come and check it out now and again, that used to fish with the guys you mention.

#103534 - 07/20/04 03:33 PM Re: North Frok Stilly
drhall99 Offline
Parr

Loc: Tigard, Oregon
Hmm, Im thinking that a huge super soaker and some vinegar might be of use in a situation like this.

Doug

#103535 - 07/21/04 12:53 AM Re: North Frok Stilly
Double Haul Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wherever I can swing for wild ...
I think a simple mention to the gentleman "Excuse me, as a respectable gentleman of your generation, you should know better then to use bad form and foul a fellow angler. Especially on one of the most famous steelhead fly fishing streams steeped in tradition"

#103536 - 08/02/04 07:19 PM Re: North Frok Stilly
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

DH,

That would be a classy remark in reverence to the traditions.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
birdhunter111, metalman, solducsinker
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
2 registered (chrome/22, stonefish), 946 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28169
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13519
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63770 Topics
645260 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |