Three Rivers Marine

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1038024 - 09/13/20 09:02 AM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline
Shooting Instructor for hire

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Well Ol' LeRoy met his fate a couple of weekends ago. Todd's gal did a great job.

I've started to get my first eggs, which is very cool. The eggs are pretty small, so I think they are coming from my little white leghorns and not my big fat Rhode Island Reds. It shouldn't be too long and all my gals will be pumpin' out the goods.

#1038027 - 09/13/20 10:54 AM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Egg production is directly proportional to day length.

#1038028 - 09/13/20 12:39 PM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
The Leghorns will, I believe laye white eggs while the Reds will do brown.

And, like Illahee said, you will need lights all winter to keep them laying.

#1038038 - 09/14/20 05:18 AM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Yep, layers were really starting to slow down within the last mongth, now with the smoke it's really down-shifted production. Direct correlation to daylight....

#1038042 - 09/14/20 10:21 AM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
LeRoy was a little chewier than I had hoped, but he was certainly tasty, and my lovely lady now can do more than just give lip service to "knowing where her food comes from"...she killed him, skinned and gutted him, butchered him and cooked him...and then we ate him.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1038047 - 09/14/20 11:54 AM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
Driftin' Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Offshore
As noted above, egg production is indeed proportional to daylight and related factors. Contrary to what some do by illuminating a coop to mitigate the natural winter's decline, we have always aligned with Ma Nature and allowed the free-range girls to have a much needed rest during that time betwixt Thanksgiving and Valentine's Day when natural nutritional resources are also at an ebb. As a result, we have some of our flock that are nearly a decade old and still produce a beautiful egg every day or two during spring/summer....

Pro Tips:

As layers age, or get stressed, they start to lose the natural yellow pigmentation (carotene) in their beak, skin, hocks, feet, vent and eye ring in what is referred to as bleaching. Their combs and egg yolks will similarly pale. If one does force winter laying, keep a close eye for any signs of such bleaching. If one is using an incandescent light bulb to heat a coop in the winter to keep combs from freezing, they need to build a better coop or change breeds for ones with smaller combs. In the PNW, most breeds will do just fine with a coop that shelters them from night time predators and winter winds.

Should one have the opportunity to eat an uppity roo, make soup and simmer the carcass/stock for at least 3 hours. Blanch the hocks/feet and peel the scaly skin/nails before adding them to the stock (According to traditional Chinese medicine, birds hold their Qi in their feet, thus "dragon claws" at such restaurants). Onions, garlic, ginger root, carrots, celery, a dash of tamari sauce and whatever else works for you will make for a tender chicken soup and/or sandwich meat. The free range layer/dual purpose breeds are not tender like the caged Cornish X fryers that one buys at Safeway.

#1038048 - 09/14/20 12:13 PM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Outside of LeRoy's tastiest bits, the rest of him all ended up in the stock pot...he has been featured in two pots of soup already.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1038461 - 09/22/20 10:16 AM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

My Reds are starting to lay their first brown eggs now. I did get a double yolk Leghorn egg and that was cool. I am easily entertained and the coolness factor bar is set very low.

All my girls are right on schedule for laying their first eggs and I'm excited for that, but I do think I'll give them a rest over the coming winter.

Next spring, I'm thinking of adding a new type of hen to the mix. Probably Easter Eggers for the green eggs to complete the color trifecta.

Anyway, that's my chicken update. Thanks for reading.

#1038472 - 09/22/20 01:27 PM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
Illahee Offline
River Nutrients

Aruacanas lay colored eggs.

#1038473 - 09/22/20 01:53 PM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: Illahee]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz sleep

#1038506 - 09/23/20 10:47 AM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

Don't be jelly of my flock. It's not cool to covet another man's birds.

"Chickens are the original punk rockers!"
- Iggy Pop

#1038512 - 09/23/20 11:38 AM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: NickD90

"Chickens are the original punk rockers!"
- Iggy Pop
You redeemed this thread with an Iggy quote.

My favorite Iggy quote,when asked why he banged a couple hideous fat girls after a show,he replied "Sometimes you just gotta wallow in the mud."

#1043854 - 12/14/20 05:49 PM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

Chicken update....

I'm still getting a good amount of winter eggs, even though I'm not supplementing any light.

I've stacked up 4 dozen eggs (that's 48 eggs Arvid) for a mondo batch of spicy pickled eggs.

I got a one gallon mason jar that's gonna be stuffed soon.

Some salt, sugar, white vinegar, water, mustard seed, black peppercorn, garlic cloves, jalapenos, red chili flake, hot sauce, dash of liquid smoke and worchestshiresaucen. They'll last in their pickling brine in the fridge for a year or two. However, 4 dozen eggs (that's 48 eggs Arvid) won't last long.

Also thinking of doing an Asian style batch with rice wine vinegar, mirin, soy, chili paste, wasabi, lemongrass, ginger, garlic etc. Perfect for dropping into a bowl of ramen.

I have really good, healthy toots.

#1043856 - 12/14/20 06:01 PM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
Dan S. Offline
It all boils down to this - I'm right, everyone else is wrong, and anyone who disputes this is clearly a dumbfuck.

Loc: SE Olympia, WA
Pickled eggs are awesome. I can eat about fitty.

Bon Scott - Shot Down in Flames

#1043857 - 12/14/20 06:01 PM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Put me down for one of those (48) eggs in the ramen style Nap

#1043858 - 12/14/20 06:02 PM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: ]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

also...

#1043860 - 12/14/20 06:44 PM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: ]
NickD90 Offline

Originally Posted By: ArvidBarker
also...

I knew it. It was a 50/50 shot of either this or watching some grass grow.

Grams and Moms used to make pickled eggs growing up and I helped a few times (and always ate more than my fair share). It's not hard, but I do want to get a couple of different recipes dialed in. I'm pretty interested to see how the Asian style turns out. We eat a lot of Ramen around here, so those should be a hit. I've perfected my fresh jammy egg for optimal ooze, but those are kinda boring from a flavor profile.

#1043862 - 12/14/20 06:52 PM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: NickD90
turns out. We eat a lot of Ramen around here, so those should be a hit. I've perfected my fresh jammy egg for optimal ooze, but those are kinda boring kinda like this thread.

#1043865 - 12/14/20 07:33 PM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: Todd]
Direct-Drive Offline
ExtenZe Field Tester

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: Todd
"...she killed him, skinned and gutted him, butchered him and cooked him...and then we ate him.

Fish on...

Todd

Jesus Toff, watch your topknot around her.

#1043942 - 12/15/20 05:29 PM Re: Chickenfvcker! [Re: NickD90]
NickD90 Offline

Bump for the excitement! thumbs

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Budman, fishmonkey
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1195 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13525
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63780 Topics
645400 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |