Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1038090 - 09/15/20 08:50 AM Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
9/15/2020... 8:30 a m

The Chehalis River "jacks only" season is about to end. The season was from 8/1 - 9/15. In general, for those that fish Jacks, this was a VERY good season.

This has been a favorite fishery of mine for 40+ years, and over the years there are many other fishermen that also take part and enjoy the fishery.

Pretty simple fishery, while jacks can be caught with many things...spinners, spoons, plugs the MAIN BAIT is eggs, salmon or steelhead work....

Good jacks areas will have people fishing, both low tides...if day light hours are in your favor.

Today 9/15/2020 ends the "jack only" fishery. Hatcheries reports will show that jack salmon are killed and sold for cat/dog food.

The killing of these fine eating, smoking, and good sport....lead me to write the following email to Region 6 personnel...

This was addressed to Mike Scharpf but was sent to many other WDFW personnel and many sports people.

Mike:

This is a request that the Chehalis River be allowed to stay on the current NO ADULTS until September 30, 2020. There is a abnormal amount of Coho jacks this year.

It was nice to see the amount of kids with their parents, enjoying fishing the current run on Coho jacks, granted the vast majority of fisherpersons are retired or senior citizens.

The impact on the resource/total adult can not be very great. The history of “jacks” that make it back to the hatchery, is that they/jacks are resourced.

I’m on the river daily, lots of jacks in daily bag limits……not many Adult fish are being hooked, around where I’m fishing…NONE are taken/killed.

It would be a positive decision and help the image of WDFW to allow this fishery.

At this time, no answer but that has been the norm with most emails to Region 6.

Edited by DrifterWA (09/15/20 08:53 AM)

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1038103 - 09/15/20 10:50 AM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: DrifterWA]
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

it was just in my email and they said NO... gave all kinds of bull [Bleeeeep!] as a reason ... but if there wasn't any jacks they sure would have closed it !!!

mainly region 6

#1038175 - 09/16/20 10:59 AM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: steely slammer]
kalamageo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oly
Getting a positive answer from WDFW is frustrating. They just are NOT capable of acting quickly within a season. Last year, when coho were closed in several drainages, I called to see if there might be an in season adjustment and was told they didn't have the ability to do that. So, While I was "steelhead" fishing with spinners, I was releasing CHROME hatchery hens by the boat load.

As I approach retirement, WTF am I gonna do?

I HATE GOLF

#1038176 - 09/16/20 11:05 AM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: DrifterWA]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

Fly like an eagle.

#1038188 - 09/16/20 01:13 PM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Wednesday....9/16/2020

Well, I'm done until 10/01/2020 in the Chehalis river.......guess I'll have to find a place below the 101 bridge and fish the Marine area, starting the 10/23.

I can tell you that the area around the "pump houses" was on fire during the afternoon tide.

Fished with my 13', 6 - 10 weight Lamiglas rod.......got limit of jacks 5 Coho and 1 Chinook. Rain started about 5, poured like a "cow pissing on a flat rock", was glad I had rain coat in boat.

Any one know why the jack limit is 6?????? Seems to me, that if hatcheries kill off Coho jacks, that WDFW would increase limit size, to say 10....would help budget by selling more punch cards.

Limit on jacks has been 6 for as long as I can remember or fished salmon....50+ years....

#1038198 - 09/16/20 07:43 PM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: DrifterWA]
Local Offline
Returning Adult

You forgot to mention how much fun it was to run down river with the "Smoke on the Water" (Deep Purple). At times 10 yards of vision to run over a Bankie if they were there. It was really awful. The rain seemed to push the smoke down to the water.

#1038394 - 09/18/20 05:06 PM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: Local]
kalamageo Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Oly
Rain knocks the condensation nuclei out of the air. These tiny "bits" are what the moisture "glooms" onto. Rain just "washes" away the bits.

#1038457 - 09/22/20 08:38 AM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Time to get creative in "river rules".......

I know there are lots of Coho jacks in the Chehalis system right now, I've voiced my displeasure at closing the Chehalis system completely.

I also know that river rules and Marine rules are governed by different agencies, just have a hard time with the "release of Wild Coho" in the Marine area, while in the rivers it is a driving force to shut down a fishery resource, Coho jacks, that will be killed/resourced when they get to a hatchery.

I would even be in favor of fewer days fishing, per week.....like is done in Westport Marine area.

Opening a closed river, in Washington State, is done quite often, Columbia River for salmon or sturgeon.....just not in Region 6.

Edited by DrifterWA (09/22/20 08:51 AM)

#1038458 - 09/22/20 09:09 AM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: DrifterWA]
steely slammer Offline
Three Time Spawner

u know that wdfw has to get permission from the Quins to do anything in this region..

I didn't see where it said to release un clipped cohos

mainly region 6

#1038468 - 09/22/20 01:17 PM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: steely slammer]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
In the Chehalis it started with protecting Springers with a zero impact rational which to achieve that resulted in a total closure for all fishing including game fish. I seriously doubt the Nation would have objections to the jack fishery but the hooking mortality in releasing adults I think would be another matter entirely. In the past the Nation's position was released adults mostly die, WDFW not many die at all and the reality is nobody knows. C&R a salmon in transition salt to fresh, in a high stress environment, or a number of scenarios fish die. How many is the question and nobody knows. That is the issue.

As to the Nation controlling things, look to Willapa and that unholy fiasco to see what WDFW does when left to their own means. The Nation acts from a self interest perspective to be sure but frankly we are better off with them rather than have WDFW only managing things.

Edited by Rivrguy (09/22/20 01:24 PM)

#1038502 - 09/23/20 09:50 AM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: DrifterWA]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

From Rivrguy's post: ". . . frankly we are better off with them (QIN) rather than have WDFW only managing things."

Now that is a sad state of affairs.

#1038538 - 09/23/20 04:41 PM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: DrifterWA]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
There was a study up in AK where they C&R'd coho in the estuary of a small stream, I believe. 100% post release mortality. There is a window where you should simply keep the fish, as it's gonna die. There is literature on it, there in Chehalis watershed in formation on this.

Hell, I seem to remember when there was a C&R net study where recoveries of released fish were pro, zip, nada. But, since we needed a number to justify a fishery one was imported from an entirely different circumstance.

I would not trust WDFW on a conservation issue any more than I trust the White House to tell us how to deal with Covid.

#1039213 - 10/06/20 08:26 AM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Heads up........As of 10/01/2020

NO Chinook jacks are legal....where I fish, Chehalis System...

Best check your river, know the rules !!!!!!!

#1039351 - 10/08/20 08:24 AM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Wow, the jack fishing that was very good....turned to xhit.

I fish everyday, like to fish Coho jacks.....Monday - Wednesday, lot's of hours, lot's of good eggs, perfect jack water....... 3 jacks, grrrrrrrr

Tuesday 7 guys, lots of hours ----- 6 Coho jacks, NO adults.....

All fishing was done in the Chehalis River..... could the jack run be done ??????

#1039734 - 10/12/20 11:30 PM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

October 12, 2020

Chehalis River is a muddy mess.....Upper Chehalis to and including area below the Wynoochee River.

I went for a boat ride, today, around the Chehalis River pump houses......the river was a real "brown out". Flows from the Satsop and the Wynoochee are decreasing but any increase in rain will have a negative affect.

opps, just watching 11:00 p m News, heavy rains forecast......fishing will be xhit.

Even the QIN has reduced pressure....both Gill nets and the set nets.

Stay safe, and Vote !!!!!!!

#1039738 - 10/13/20 08:32 AM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: DrifterWA]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

October 13, 2020

Rained hard in the night, not showing on "USGS" yet BUT it will. Chehalis River at Porter is 4000 Cubic feet per second.....AND the river is up about 5 feet in 4 days.

I use the Satsop and Chehalis Porter gages because they reflex the areas below the Satsop that I fish most often.

IF no more rain I'll be fishing by Friday.....but tide and water clarity will determine where below the Satsop my boat will be parked.

Stay safe.........

#1039842 - 10/13/20 08:54 PM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: DrifterWA]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline
My Area code makes me cooler than you

The river is mint.
Everyone in the state should head there fast.
Faa King WA is a joke.

#1039932 - 10/14/20 10:48 PM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: DrifterWA]
eyeFISH Offline
Ornamental Rice Bowl

Combined flows of >6000 below Satsop as I type tonight... and another 1500 below the Wynoochee. It'll be pretty late on Friday before it's fishable for most.

"If you don't kill them, they will spawn." (Carcassman)

The Keen Eye MD
Long Live the Kings!

#1039999 - 10/15/20 06:15 PM Re: Chehalis River---Jack Salmon Report [Re: DrifterWA]
Misguided Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: SWWA
And more rain forecasted for Friday.... I think I’ll stay home and rest.

2nd Generation Army Veteran and Damn Proud of it.

Misguided was the name of my 1st drift boat, I am not to be associated with LAWLESSNESS!!!!

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 939 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |