Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1040421 - 10/24/20 11:08 AM Angling rules
Salman Offline
Spawner

What meetings do I need to attend in order to change regulations?

#1040429 - 10/24/20 03:11 PM Re: Angling rules [Re: Salman]
On The Swing Offline
Spawner

Oh boy here comes a good one!
beathead

#1040431 - 10/24/20 03:48 PM Re: Angling rules [Re: Salman]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
Originally Posted By: Salman

probably should start with AA

#1040437 - 10/24/20 09:53 PM Re: Angling rules [Re: fish4brains]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: University Place and Whidbey I...
Originally Posted By: fish4brains
Originally Posted By: Salman

probably should start with AA

No, save the AA meetings for when one gives up in frustration! One should probably start by developing a good relationship with a psychiatrist - someone to periodically bring you back to some semblance of normalcy.

For years WDFW had an annual opportunity for the public to submit rule change proposals. Very few of those which were submitted passed the initial staff review thereby making them in
eligible for further consideration.

Then Staff proposed to the Commission that the process be broken down into a rotating three year schedule to reduce Staff workload. The Commission approved with the result being that Marine and Shellfish regs would come up every third year. I believe the other two were East Side lakes and streams followed by West Side lakes and Streams.

As I recall that plan lasted for less than one full rotation with the last one to have been Marine and Shellfish. Instead it was changed to a Rule Simplification initiative. I believe that was in 2019. While that was intended to only be Staff submittals some were put in by the public to include one I put in late in the process. Although timely my submittal was not considered nor presented during the December 2019 Commission meeting in Bellingham as I was told that Staff needed to discuss it with LE. I was promised that my suggestion would be processed.

Well, it has been over nine months and despite several inquiries to that Deputy Director I have yet to receive any response indicating that my recommendation is being processed. That string has gotten so long my wife thinks I am a string hoarder.

Consequently, I have cancelled any further meetings with my shrink and am moving to self medication.

As to the OP's question it is seems clear that Staff/Commission have foregone any regularly scheduled opportunity for rule change proposals from the public.

However, there is an obscure process where WDFW can be petitioned for a rule change but I can't come up with the process right now.

Edited by Larry B (10/24/20 10:37 PM)

It's the person who has done nothing who is sure nothing can be done. (Ewing)

#1040444 - 10/25/20 08:33 AM Re: Angling rules [Re: Salman]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Probably the most effective way to influence WDFW reg[setting process is to fish in other states and countries, taking your license money and general economic impact there. As Larry points out above, working with them in the defined "process" seems not to work.

#1040446 - 10/25/20 09:37 AM Re: Angling rules [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Probably the most effective way to influence WDFW reg[setting process is to fish in other states and countries, taking your license money and general economic impact there. As Larry points out above, working with them in the defined "process" seems not to work.

I am afraid that that approach is too oblique for the powers to be to recognize - but I certainly understand the sentiment.

It is simply disingenuous for WDFW to spout how important it is to communicate with the public while progressively diminishing those opportunities.

Edited by Larry B (10/25/20 09:40 AM)

#1040451 - 10/25/20 10:44 AM Re: Angling rules [Re: Salman]
River Nutrients

If licenses are not purchased, they can't operate. Money is absolutely the only thing they understand or allow to impact decisions.

#1040490 - 10/25/20 03:21 PM Re: Angling rules [Re: Carcassman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

If licenses are not purchased, they can't operate. Money is absolutely the only thing they understand or allow to impact decisions.

I really wish that they could see and acknowledge the connection.

#1040494 - 10/25/20 08:06 PM Re: Angling rules [Re: Salman]
River Nutrients

They will not see it until they don't have the money.

#1040499 - 10/26/20 07:22 AM Re: Angling rules [Re: Larry B]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
The fishing pamphlet is a confusing mess, despite all well intentioned attempts by anyone trying to help correct it. Read retired officer Greg Haw's book, Confessions of an urban Game Warden. In it he lists the conflicts in the regulations and his frustration with the department ignoring his much needed suggestions. If a staffer who is not a fish biologist can't get consideration, a non-employee doesn't have a chance. If WDFW continues to fail to act, maybe the next best thing is to go to your legislator to get their attention in a private meeting. Maybe not.

WDFW continues to fail in salmon and steelhead management. I'm SURE that if we only raised our license fees everything would be okey dokey! (Tongue firmly planted in cheek here).

#1040501 - 10/26/20 08:05 AM Re: Angling rules [Re: Salman]
River Nutrients

A staffer who was a fish biologist couldn't get consideration....

#1040505 - 10/26/20 09:37 AM Re: Angling rules [Re: Salman]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

So - back to the original question. One method of initiating a change might be through one of the Advisory Groups (https://wdfw.wa.gov/about/advisory) - at least in theory.

The reality is that WDFW does not have a policy nor a written guide for its operation of such groups. Yes, there is now a second iteration of a handbook for group members but nothing for its own managers.

One advisory group just recently had its individual webpage added but none of its last several semi-annual meeting minutes have been uploaded. One has to ask exactly how is that omission enhancing the public's understanding of factors leading to critical decisions? For that matter it also prevents an interested Commission member or legislator from being enlightened.

Since I am venting let me also point out that the new WDFW website resulted in over 30 years of Commission meeting electronic records having been "lost" to public access.

I try not to be a conspiracy proponent but one has to wonder......

Edited by Larry B (10/26/20 12:16 PM)

#1040507 - 10/26/20 10:45 AM Re: Angling rules [Re: Salman]
milkBottleMikey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Spawn Ranch
I don't know, if you know the right people or are the right people it must not be too difficult to get the rules changed...

A decade or so ago a select user group was able to get a boating motor restriction through in the pamphlet that the locals promptly ignored. Part of which was because several existing docks and a boat basin were long used for "illegal" purposes. They clarified the regulation a couple years later, and a couple years after that the restriction disappeared completely.

#1040514 - 10/26/20 12:19 PM Re: Angling rules [Re: milkBottleMikey]
Larry B Offline
River Nutrients

Originally Posted By: milkBottleMikey
I don't know, if you know the right people or are the right people it must not be too difficult to get the rules changed...

A decade or so ago a select user group was able to get a boating motor restriction through in the pamphlet that the locals promptly ignored. Part of which was because several existing docks and a boat basin were long used for "illegal" purposes. They clarified the regulation a couple years later, and a couple years after that the restriction disappeared completely.

If actually a rule change in the pamphlet it was possibly initiated internally by WDFW LE.

There are other regs in place with origins in rather obscure (I am being PC) LE rationalizations.

#1040516 - 10/26/20 12:40 PM Re: Angling rules [Re: Salman]
milkBottleMikey Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Spawn Ranch
According to the newly-implemented regs at the time, several long-used docks and a boat basin couldn't be used with internal-combustion motors. I am pretty sure the VIP kayak/canoe crowd got that one initiated...Not LE.

#1040525 - 10/26/20 02:26 PM Re: Angling rules [Re: Salman]
River Nutrients

WDFW can't ban internal combustion motors or boats. They can ban fishing from them, or hunting from them but their authority is fishing, hunting, and the conduct thereof. The County or City can ban motors, set speed limits, and such.

#1040544 - 10/27/20 10:05 AM Re: Angling rules [Re: Carcassman]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
WDFW can't ban internal combustion motors or boats. They can ban fishing from them, or hunting from them but their authority is fishing, hunting, and the conduct thereof. The County or City can ban motors, set speed limits, and such.

Well, not to start a argument but check regulations on 2 rivers that I'm aware of

1. Humptulips, above 101 bridge....P29, above 101 bridge, still there,,,101 bridge to Forks

2. Wynoochee, 7400 line, at new boat launch.....Interesting, it was there in a past "Sport Fishing Rules" but not there now

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1040580 - 10/27/20 05:07 PM Re: Angling rules [Re: Salman]
River Nutrients

What they write in the pamphlet isn't the actual rule. If you want to run up and down the Hump with your internal combustion engine, and the county has no rule against it, then you can. Now, if you fish from that boat with the engine, you could get cited.

Experience has shown me that the folks who write the actual pamphlet don't always know the actual law or authority.

#1040583 - 10/27/20 06:29 PM Re: Angling rules [Re: Carcassman]
darth baiter Offline
Juvenile at Sea

Loc: United States
This is the rule for the Humptulips above 101 as in the WAC -220-312-020:

(i) From December 1 through March 31: It is unlawful to fish from a floating device equipped with an internal combustion motor.

Edited by darth baiter (10/27/20 06:30 PM)

#1040586 - 10/27/20 07:34 PM Re: Angling rules [Re: Carcassman]
fish4brains Offline
Dah Rivah Stinkah Pink Mastah

Loc: zipper
f you want to run up and down the Hump with your internal combustion engine, and the county has no rule against it, then you can.

Not if you value your tires, trailer tongue or windshield.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
CHUBS
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1114 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13521
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645302 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |