My Area code makes me cooler than you

Some still believe in Santa.

#1043480 - 12/10/20 08:24 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
Thumbburner Offline
Alevin

#1043481 - 12/10/20 08:40 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: wsu]
cobble cruiser Offline
~B-F-D~

"The broodstock fish on the Duc don't seem to have caused a crash there, at least based on WDFW's graphs. Why is that?"

I thought that very same thing. Those Schneider Creek Fish didn't seem to have any effect on the wild run at all. They were the very earliest component of the wild run but none the less.

Edited by cobble cruiser (12/10/20 08:43 PM)

#1043483 - 12/10/20 09:00 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: cobble cruiser]
Tug 3 Offline
Returning Adult

Loc: Tumwater
I think the boat fishing closure is a travesty that could have been avoided long ago. For years the non-Indian share haaaas been considerably below a 50% limit of "harvestable" steelhead. Prescriptive measures and suggestions we brought up at meeting after meeting. Most involved adding more restriction to anglers, and most restrictive measures on bait, lures and seasons have been applied Anglers can't even remove a steelhead from the water. No more taking wild steelhead, which was recommended long ago, but failed to be put into regulation for far too long.

The suggestion that should have been implemented years ago is that the Boldt Decision should have been fairly implemented to let the tribes have their 50%, but that the anglers be required wild fish release to be put on the gravel. As it is, the tribes take our 50%, plus more than that that is under-reported. We wouldn't be in the situation we are now, if that would have been implemented years ago.

#1043485 - 12/10/20 09:43 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
Salman Offline
Spawner

Maybe the rules are all wrong and you should keep or release the first one you catch and be done for the day. Recorded on a punch card with however many are to be kept/released per year and adjusted to the native harvest to equal 50%.

#1043486 - 12/10/20 10:10 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Salman]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
Originally Posted By: Salman
Maybe the rules are all wrong and you should keep or release the first one you catch and be done for the day. Recorded on a punch card with however many are to be kept/released per year and adjusted to the native harvest to equal 50%.

How can I be a social media all-star if I can only post a picture of myself with only ONE steelhead per day?

People don’t have the self control for that. Also, if you drive across the state to fish a spot and get into a fish the first five minutes then you are done for the day? Seems arbitrary to me. Some rivers can sustain a bit more pressure. It’s good to recognize your own limits. For me, hooking a couple of fish is good enough in most instances. Sometimes just one is enough. I have no need to rack up substantial numbers to brag about online or to others. If hooking a few fish isn’t fulfilling for you and you have a need to catch as many wild steelhead as you possibly can, then you are a part of the problem.

Edited by Streamer (12/10/20 10:11 PM)

#1043487 - 12/10/20 10:18 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Tug 3]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope

Quote:
For years the non-Indian share haaaas been considerably below a 50% limit of "harvestable" steelhead

Ah T3 not everyplace. In Grays Harbor the Nation does have a larger impact on wild Steelhead and it limits their season. Rec on the other hand take more Steelhead as we do C&R on wild. So % wise in GH Rec take more winter Steelhead. Then as we have Summerrun Rec harvest the balance is even more tilted to non treaty fishers. Then the Chehalis Tribal catch ( they are non treaty ) is also added to the states share.

Run reconstruction for a example year is 2016 and it was QIN 2165 and NT 9142. 10 yr average is QIN 664 and NT 6081. The five year average is QIN 885 and NT 6177. These numbers do not include the Chehalis Tribe and they average 1200 to a 1000 a year.

Sometimes things are not what they seem to be.

#1043491 - 12/11/20 08:02 AM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
"Back in the day" WDG required that every steelhead be punched. The limit was 2 per day, whether released or killed. It also included kelts. You C&R a kelt and that was supposed to be punched. This "each fish counts to your limit" applied to all species. I think the trout limit was 6, and when you had brought 6 to hand you were done.

New Zealand is noticing a problem with C&R on Brown Trout in some rivers. The fish are sore mouthed to the point that they are thin from not eating. One suggestion was that the limit be X fish per day, regardless of kept or released.

#1043499 - 12/11/20 09:12 AM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Streamer]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

"How can I be a social media all-star if I can only post a picture of myself with only ONE steelhead per day?

People don’t have the self control for that. "

This is a huge problem. I lambasted a guide yesterday for blowing up spots. They justified ot as their right. No accoutsbility.

#1043500 - 12/11/20 09:28 AM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: ]
stlhdr1 Offline
BUCK NASTY!!

Loc: Vancouver, WA
Originally Posted By: ArvidBarker

"How can I be a social media all-star if I can only post a picture of myself with only ONE steelhead per day?

People don’t have the self control for that. "

This is a huge problem. I lambasted a guide yesterday for blowing up spots. They justified ot as their right. No accoutsbility.

A large portion of people go through it, even I did in my younger years exploiting fisheries and helping people become better fisherman. It's self recognition or the recognition of a job well done.. People thrive for it, but you get burnt a few times and selfishness kicks in... rofl

Keith

#1043503 - 12/11/20 09:38 AM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: stlhdr1]
ArvidBarker
Unregistered

It's called EGO. It's never good lol.

#1043509 - 12/11/20 10:48 AM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: stonefish]
OncyT Offline
Spawner

Originally Posted By: stonefish
I’d have to believe the Nisqually was planted with hatchery fish at one time, as just about everything was planted with something back in the day.

Chambers early winter stock smolts were released most years into the Nisqually River from 1966 up to 1982, and Skamania summer stock smolts were released in most years from 1977 up to 1994. Chambers Creek releases averaged 19,200 fish/yr (Range 0 - 35,400) and Skamania releases averaged 23,400 fish/yr (Range 0 - 47,600).

There was an egg taking station that operated during the early 1900's but not much information is available about that operation. It probably doesn't really matter.

NOAA Technical Memorandum NMFS-NWFSC-128

#1043512 - 12/11/20 11:24 AM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

"A large portion of people go through it, even I did in my younger years exploiting fisheries and helping people become better fisherman. It's self recognition or the recognition of a job well done.. People thrive for it, but you get burnt a few times and selfishness kicks in... rofl"

Truer words have never been spoken!!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately before there wasn't the platform like today.
Today sucks.
Technology sucks.
Give me a Shimano 201SG on direct drive.

All you flatbrimmers need to start pulling out.

#1043531 - 12/11/20 02:35 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
I never understood the need to brag about the amount of fish caught in a day online. I guess that's why I've never posted a picture here either. To me, catching a fast limit of steelhead was a good thing, as that then allowed me to go do something else. Go get a limit of dungies (remember when the Sound was only closed to crabbing from April to June?) or then shoot a limit of mallards. Even go shoot trap or he11 maybe even mow the lawn.

With the age of the digital camera there became a disconnect within some of the population, as they needed to feel validated by "proving" they could catch a fish or 2 (or alot). The ability to then easily share these images with the WWW allowed some of these folks to continually share their exploits on our local rivers. Hey, I like looking at fish pictures too but after you've caught a few, most of them are pretty much the same, IMO. That logic didn't jive with mine though (and how I was raised); when I have a good thing going, the last thing I want is to encourage more people to wear out the places I'm utilizing?! Different strokes I guess....

#1043534 - 12/11/20 03:39 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
Salmo g. Offline
River Nutrients

Been here on the other computer all afternoon.

#1043536 - 12/11/20 03:48 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
WDFW X 1 = 0 Offline

"I hope you’re all in the meeting right now."

The definition of insanity applies here.

Perhaps it will be different this time?

#1043537 - 12/11/20 03:56 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
RUNnGUN Offline
Repeat Spawner

I watched the presentation and learned some things. Turned it off early in disgust after the Patagonia boy shared his opinion. On the front end of the line no less.

#1043547 - 12/11/20 05:06 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
12/11/2020

2 of us watched the whole presentation, because I have a "smart TV", I'm able to project my computer image to my 65" TV.

More than 500 people signed in to speak, 2 minute limit. I never counted but if 50 people spoke that would be a lot.

People who never got to speak were asked to email their comments in.....

My take away: Starting Monday, 12/14/2020, there will be NO FISHING out of a boat.

I can't even think how the fishing will be on say "the Wynoochee"........10 drift boats pulled up on a gravel bar, to be able to fish from shore.....with 10 others that were "walk in"....... might be a real cluster xuck,,,,,,,

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1043548 - 12/11/20 05:10 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
fishbadger Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
Ditto. I had a chance to speak but my mic was bungled up, so lost my spot in line, so submitted in writing instead.

I think they're in a tough spot, and I'm encouraged that they're trying to up their game in communication, even though this round of emergency reg's was a little ham-handed.

I'm on board with what they're doing too. I think they could tailor it a little better by basin, and maybe prosecute a little whack and stack on the hatchery fish, but reducing wild encounters by their constituents is the one thing they can control in-season. Ocean conditions and treaty fisheries not so much. I'd rather have a heavily restricted fishery than no opportunity at all, and there's equally strong conservation rationale to just shut it all down. We might have gotten off easy this year,

fb

#1043549 - 12/11/20 05:26 PM Re: Coastal steelhead rules out now... [Re: Todd]
Salman Offline
Spawner

I got a new perspective from this meeting. In the quilleute there’s roughly 3,300 fish above escapement and the Indians are entitled to half of that so will they really take half, or less, or more? Our half will be spread out through c&r, they are assuming we’ll take 1,600 fish by c&r & if so that is insane! If 1,600 fish get killed by c&r that’s a complete waste of fish. II’ve released quite a few steelies and by my count I can only guess I killed one, the rest I wouldn’t be surprised if they lived. If the numbers that I have correlate with all c&r fisherman I think the natives are jacking us into believing we’re killing fish by c&r & taking our share too. As for the other rivers not meeting escapement or coming in a couple over they should just be shut down till they resemble the quilleute model.

Page 5 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 12 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
Fish_Hunter14, George Montain, mochoman, RPetzold, Sparkey, steelheadfisher
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 221 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 27837
Dan S. 16958
Sol Duc 15727
The Moderator 13941
Salmo g. 13394
eyeFISH 12606
STRIKE ZONE 11969
Dogfish 10878
ParaLeaks 10363
Jerry Garcia 9013
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63785 Topics
645440 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |