Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1051084 - 04/23/21 01:12 PM Old guns
JussieSmolt Offline
Spawner

Just seeing if anyone had anything they were stoked on.

#1051090 - 04/23/21 02:03 PM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
JussieSmolt Offline
Spawner

Bad idea starting threads. Take care dudes

#1051099 - 04/23/21 03:14 PM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
Old, as in still using old guns? I only have a couple guns that were built after, even, 1950. Got a couple that are on the other side of 100 and still will be used for the proper season (upland birds-Win-12 and close deer-Win-94). Not only do they shoot well enough for me but they, to my mind, are a damn sight prettier than the modern models. Real wood, for example.

#1051103 - 04/23/21 04:26 PM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
5 * General Evo Offline
Lord of the Chums

right now i just have that old Sportsman 20 gauge (A5 clone) and the Superposed 20 gauge, and the Colt Woodsman .22 from the 1930s... wish i would have kept some of the others i had in the past...

probably wont shoot the Sportsman, just hangs out, the Woodsman is a fun little pistol...

Superposed is lovely, but i need to get the rib fixed.. might just shoot it till it falls completely off... been having too much fun with the Franchi tho...

#1051226 - 04/26/21 11:10 AM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
20 Gage Offline
Returning Adult

Not many left, but a couple may qualify.

We have a couple M1 Carbines,one a WWII and the other a Korean War veteran. Both in minter shape and great little shooters. One pre 64 Model 70, two Winchester Model 42 .410 pump shotguns, both as new with factory upgraded timber and bird hunting scenes engraved. Again, fun to shoot even with the safety’s in the wrong location.

Possibly my oldest Ugi* side side in 28 Gage qualifies ?

How old does it take to really qualify as Old ? I know I now qualify, and my old sxs is about the same age.

* Ugartechea

#1051298 - 04/27/21 03:39 PM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Using?

Not really.

Stoked about?

I do take out the M1 Garand and shoot it from time to time.

The rest are pretty much Safe Queens.

#1051311 - 04/28/21 05:58 AM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Every year I say I’m going to shoot a deer with one of my lever guns...but I don’t. A couple generic pre-64 Mdl 94’s from each grandfather in .30 WCF. One is within the first 15 years of production. Another is a big-bore 1886 45-70, in excellent shape that has a 5 digit serial number, that a great uncle owned. Need to get a Cody Letter on it. I’ve killed deer with my (3) pre-64 Mdl 70’s, and while they’re great, I still prefer my Sako’s.

#1051313 - 04/28/21 09:21 AM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
DCC Offline
The Walnut

Have one prized Winchester .22 WRF model 1890 Deluxe that actually appears to have some value, got it from a board member here quite some time ago, took that, my grandson and a mint Marlin 1892 .22 Long over to the Curlew Ranch last 4th and taught the ground squirrels the meaning of the word respect, both those rifles are shooters. Have another 1892 Marlin in 30-30 that I've killed some deer with, love carrying the old stuff in the woods, feels right.
Would like to find and old Hepburn rolling block in 45-70...or any caliber really, will pay if you have one...? wink

Because....fuckit.

#1051321 - 04/28/21 10:47 AM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
The Moderator Offline
The Chosen One

Loc: Tuleville
Makes me smile that you and your grandson are getting some use out of that .22 WRF

Even though it was my father's rifle, it was really nothing more than a Safe Queen. I do have fond childhood memories or popping a few Idaho ground squirrels as well with that rifle. It's always been a good shooter a killer of varmints, for sure!

Rifles are meant to be used and enjoyed.

#1051351 - 04/28/21 02:52 PM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
CedarR Offline
Repeat Spawner

Loc: Olympia, WA
Had a couple old guns that were kinda interesting. One was a Remington Model 29 pump shotgun. Still in high school, but flush with money from a grocery store box boy job, I bought the firearm from a coworker's grandpa for $15. That Remington was as tired and worn out as the old man. The shotgun had a 32" full choke barrel. It had enough play between the barrel and receiver that leading your target was as easy as taking dead aim, flopping the barrel to the fullest range of its travel and squeezing the trigger. A miss was almost guaranteed.

The most interesting thing about that shotgun was that an experienced senior gunsmith and collector of firearms told me that Remington never made a Model 29 shotgun. Earlier today, there was one listed for sale online for $400.

I sold the Remington Model 29 when I received a pristine Winchester 1897 shotgun from my grandfather. He was an old farmer who took great care of all the equipment he owned. Even his garden tools were heirlooms; meant to be passed on to the next generation. I hunted with that shotgun for a half dozen years. I finally tired of tearing the top of my thumb joint when the slide rode over it. Working the hammer when your hands were almost frostbitten was problematic, also.

I sold the '97 to a hunting partner, and bought a 12 gauge 870 Wingmaster with the proceeds. Now, it's an oldtimer!

#1051448 - 04/30/21 04:07 AM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
Chum Man Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Yelmish
i don't have anything too ancient, but i do have one of the first remington 760s that was ever produced. they start at serial #4000, mine is a couple hundred above that one. it was my late father in law's, and had been sitting in my mother in law's basement for about 20 years.

i shot a box of ammo through the thing when i got it and decided it was more of a wall hanger, it's pretty beat and the lack of a recoil pad combined with a narrow butt makes it one of the nastiest kicking rifles i've owned (and i own and shoot a .375 ruger).

i've also got a couple old model 99 savages, in .358 and .250, now, those are the ones that go out in the field with me smile

#1051453 - 04/30/21 09:43 AM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
I didn't think I had any old guns, since the only ones I have, I have had since I was a kid...and then I realized that those are old guns lol.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1051455 - 04/30/21 09:51 AM Re: Old guns [Re: Chum Man]
20 Gage Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Chum Man

i've also got a couple old model 99 savages, in .358 and .250, now, those are the ones that go out in the field with me smile

Now you’re talking !

I think the .250-3000 is one of the best deer hunting cartridges ever. I used to shoot a little .243 for whitetail over on the dryer side of the state. After a couple of good hunting years with the little 6mm, I had two rather dismal experiences with the cartridge. My hunting partner of the time talked me into using his backup rifle model 99 in the .250 for our late buck hunt that year. I agreed, and after a great hunt, with a one shot bang -flop harvest, I switched to the .250 and never looked back.

#1051510 - 04/30/21 07:47 PM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

I like what Todd said. Many of the guns I have I grew up with as they were my grandfather's, Dad's, great uncle's. So, they have been around for a long time. They can't be old because I'm not. Or maybe I am.

#1051523 - 05/01/21 09:54 AM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
JussieSmolt Offline
Spawner

Same here with the grandpa guns. I sold most of my new guns and have only kept the hand me downs. All Remingtons. When he passes I'll have an armory of old guns I've haven't even seen. The oldest one I have now is a Remington Model 24 22LR. Was manufactured between 1922 and 1935. I was shooting it recently and a small piece of broken steel fell out of the ejector and it won't load a second round. Need to figure that out. Cool old gun with a whole lot of mileage.

#1051524 - 05/01/21 09:55 AM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
JussieSmolt Offline
Spawner

Not that I'm looking forward to his passing.

#1051545 - 05/01/21 02:46 PM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

Might be a little ejector piece. That broke on a .22 auto. I have the part but just can't get it into the right place. Probably need a gunsmith. My favorites are at or past 100, but still fun to shoot. That, and they often just feel right.

After my Dad passed I bought some guns I had drooled over for decades. A 12ga SS (the ONLY gun for waterfowl) and a .45 LC Single Action. I was looking at a number of them and was almost settled on a Ruger. Then, the dealer handed me the Baretta. It just crawled into my hand and snuggled down. Damn thing just fit. When I was learning to shoot, or fish, the gun/rod was simply and extension of me. The better it "fit", the better it worked.

#1051561 - 05/02/21 01:18 PM Re: Old guns [Re: Carcassman]
20 Gage Offline
Returning Adult

Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Might be a little ejector piece. That broke on a .22 auto. I have the part but just can't get it into the right place. Probably need a gunsmith. My favorites are at or past 100, but still fun to shoot. That, and they often just feel right.

After my Dad passed I bought some guns I had drooled over for decades. A 12ga SS (the ONLY gun for waterfowl) and a .45 LC Single Action. I was looking at a number of them and was almost settled on a Ruger. Then, the dealer handed me the Baretta. It just crawled into my hand and snuggled down. Damn thing just fit. When I was learning to shoot, or fish, the gun/rod was simply and extension of me. The better it "fit", the better it worked.

Not that I disagree, but I’d like to hear the story behind the “ONLY” gun for waterfowl as described. There’s a few old pumper gun guys that can’t imagine anything else used for those wet birds. But, then again, I’m a 20 Gage scatter gun shooter, so a grain of sand may be desired. wink

#1051562 - 05/02/21 08:54 PM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
Carcassman Offline
River Nutrients

To my mind, you hunt waterfowl over decoys (ideally wooden) with a side by side and a retriever. That's just how I see it done. Actually have been more successful with my double. But, a pump is for pheasant, over a nice pointing dog. Just, I guess, my view of "classic". Basically, shot what you like and **ck the naysayers.

#1051571 - 05/03/21 11:04 AM Re: Old guns [Re: JussieSmolt]
20 Gage Offline
Returning Adult

Having a variety of pointing dogs as well as retrievers here in the clan, we have found that with good dogs, training, trialing, testing and hunting, either can and do crossover between waterfowling and upland hunting. We have Setters and Britts sitting in the blind retrieving ducks with Labs, and the Labs pushing up birds to the gunner in the uplands.

What’s a bit interesting is training them to actually hunt together at the same time. Not to bad in the blinds with waterfowling, but a bit harder to do in the Pheasant and Quail cover. Something about a flushing dog like our Labs stealing a Red Setter’s point will have the gunners and handlers really mumbling...

Now as to the REAL place in bird hunting for a classic SxS to show it’s roots ? That would likely be chasing after Setters and Pointers in the woods and uplands, with the old three shot pumps and semi autos sitting in the muddy blind with the ducks and retrievers.

But, it’s always fun to break outta the old mold, and try new things. like Jump Shooing Mallards or Teal along a river or creek when chasing Huns and Quail in the thickets . This you do with an ultra lite 28 Gage three shooter that you carry cuz you’re walking three miles to get there...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Bob, Jerry Garcia, ReiterRat, Sky-Guy 
Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (stonefish), 1075 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645296 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |