Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105106 - 06/14/06 04:50 PM 12 Weight Fly Rod
Steve R Offline
Fry

Loc: Seattle
David et all, I am getting ready for my first Mexico trip and will also be chasing Yellow Fin Tuna later this summer off of the Columbia. I have a chance to buy a nice 12 Weight Sage RPLXi at a great price from a friend. It has limited use and should be a great rod. Given the price at half the Xi2 I don't see how I can go wrong. I am looking at the Redington Breakwater as the reel. I am curious about what you think of that combination. Would also appreciate your thoughts on the right line for this set up. Thanks, Steve

#105107 - 06/14/06 05:15 PM Re: 12 Weight Fly Rod
D3Smartie Offline

Loc: Bainbridge Island WA
The rod is a good choice, i dont know too much about the new redington reels but the old ones blew up pretty regularly...
Look at a Ross CLA. Great value reel.

#105108 - 06/14/06 05:33 PM Re: 12 Weight Fly Rod
FLGator Offline
Parr

Loc: Liberty Lake WA
The Redington Breakwater has a great reputation on many of the saltwater specific pages (check out danblanton.com for example) and would be a great value for the money. However, for the same money, you can often find good deals on used Abels or Pates which are both bomb proof and would be my first choice.

I recommend you pick up a copy of Trey Combs' Bluewater Fly Fishing. TONS of great information and recommendaions on rod lengths and weights, reels, backing, knots, lines, leaders, flies...you name it. Proven tackle and techniques that have taken the largest gamefish on flies from around the world are shared by many different cutting edge anglers. Rigging is critical for these large ocean species and the book spells out what works.

Take care,
Chris

#105109 - 06/15/06 11:49 AM Re: 12 Weight Fly Rod
Steve R Offline
Fry

David, thanks for the tip. I fish the new Ross CLA on my 6 and 8 weights. I love the reel. I have heard a lot of good things about the Breakwater but would hate to learn the hard way.

Chris, thanks for the Blanton reference. I read the board regularly. I have Trey Combs' book. Just started planing the trip and took the easy way. I will pull it out as well as Les Johnson and Mark Mandell's Tube Fly book that has lots of Mexico patterns.

I greatly appreciate the help.

Best regards, Steve

#105110 - 06/20/06 03:26 PM Re: 12 Weight Fly Rod
FLGator Offline
Parr

Loc: Liberty Lake WA
Steve,
What did your research turn up with?
Chris

#105111 - 06/20/06 05:54 PM Re: 12 Weight Fly Rod
Steve R Offline
Fry

Was able to buy a Galvan Torque 12 in a discontinued color for the price of the Redington. Reviews on Blanton's site gave it high marks for a tough drag that were verified by several local fly shops. I need to get two more kids through college before I can start thinking about a Tibor.
Chris, I spent some time looking at Trey's Bluewater book and it gave me some good ideas. I appreciate the suggestion.
Steve

#105112 - 06/26/06 10:42 PM Re: 12 Weight Fly Rod
Willieboats Offline
Fry

Loc: Olympia
Steve,
I have a RPLXi in a nine weight. I love that rod. In fact, if you friend has one in a 7 weight and wants to unload it, I'll take it!

Don

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |