Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1056242 - 08/26/21 08:37 AM Re: 2021 Tuna Trip [Re: fish4brains]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Loc: Seattle, Washington USA
Originally Posted By: Mike Hunt
how is the fish processed to bring home?

I have done it three ways...

The first, the office had two 120qt coolers waiting for me at the dock when we arrived, I loaded the bagged up loins in to those with dry ice, which barely fit, duct taped them closed and took them on the plane. I took the next day off of work and packaged at all home myself.

Pros: Had all the fresh unfrozen fish I wanted, and I had a pretty big sushi party with it.

Cons: Cost me about $600 for two coolers and plane fare for them, and I had to take a day off work to process the fish, and that costs money, too.

The second, my old man drove down, and took my empty coolers with him, and drove back the full ones.

Pros: Lots of fresh fish, and another sushi party.

Cons: Still had to take a day off work to take care of it all, and my old man had to drive it up (which he said he will never do again lol).

This year: Dumped it all on the fish processors at the dock. They take whole fish, weigh it all, and then they process, package, flash freeze, and ship.

Pros: No work on my part at all, and their flash freezing will likely be better than my freezer's slow freeze, so far as product goes.

Cons: Will probably cost about $750, but in the long run, that's cheaper than doing it myself when you factor in bags/time/lost work. No fresh fish. Have to wait...it's been a couple of weeks and I don't have the fish yet.

That being said...dumping it on the processors and walking away seems like the best bet, by far.

Fish on...

Todd

Team Flying Super Ditch Pickle

#1056403 - 08/26/21 05:18 PM Re: 2021 Tuna Trip [Re: Todd]
Flatbrim Pescador Offline
Returning Adult

You should really freeze it before eating to kill any potential parasites so you can still have a sushi party. You know who has 2 thumbs and loves sushi? Well let's just say Evo knows a guy.

#1056441 - 08/27/21 10:12 AM Re: 2021 Tuna Trip [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

lol...I'll let you know!

Fish on...

Todd

#1057518 - 09/14/21 03:58 PM Re: 2021 Tuna Trip [Re: Todd]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

I was just notified by Alaska Airlines that 4 boxes weighing 197 pounds have touched down at SeaTac, and are in cold storage waiting for me to come pick them up!

With this pile of fish, and hunting season just starting...well, this is why I have three freezers!

With the rains this week there are definitely some chanterelles in my weekend plans, too!

Fish on...

Todd

#1057519 - 09/14/21 04:36 PM Re: 2021 Tuna Trip [Re: Todd]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
Right on! I have the next 2 weeks off so hopefully you will leave a few for the rest of us.

-Steamy

#1057521 - 09/14/21 07:48 PM Re: 2021 Tuna Trip [Re: Todd]
snit Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Wenatchee, WA
Nice! Wife and I hunted up 4-5#’s on Sunday in my usual location. It rained all day Friday where we live, so even though it’s 2 weeks early I had a hunch we’d stumble into some. Took an hour and a half but we finally found a flock of them. Having to pull up the forest floor “bumps” as they weren’t showing themselves. Crazy how dry it is in the mountains, even after a good soaking.

#1057600 - 09/20/21 09:12 AM Re: 2021 Tuna Trip [Re: Streamer]
Todd Offline
Dick Nipples

Originally Posted By: Streamer
Right on! I have the next 2 weeks off so hopefully you will leave a few for the rest of us.

-Steamy

It was pretty good out there...

My usual spot was about as usual...surprising amount of rotten shrooms that got waterlogged during the last few days of monsoons...there must have been quite a few during the dry days popping up there.

This spot is usually loaded with lobster mushrooms, too, and yesterday was no exception...difference being that there were a lot more than usual, even.

Fish on...

Todd

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
280ackimp, DAVEANNICK, nicksdad, redgussydog, reitersteelhead123, wallacewhaler123, zswoods
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
1 registered (steely slammer), 987 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13523
eyeFISH 12767
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63778 Topics
645354 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |