THE PP OUTDOOR FORUMS

Kast Gear!

Power Pro Shimano Reels G Loomis Rods

Willie boats! Puffballs!

Three Rivers Marine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1059791 - 06/02/22 06:22 AM Willapa Springers ?
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: Somewhere on the planet,I hope
Sent: Wednesday, June 01, 2022 2:02 PM
Subject: Spring Chinook in Willapa Bay

Good afternoon,

Willapa Bay fishery managers wanted to provide you a brief update on an upcoming fishery. In May of 2019, the Fork’s Creek Hatchery on the Willapa River released 567,560 spring Chinook salmon in an effort to increase prey abundance for Southern Resident Killer Whales. Fishery managers this year have conducted in-season monitoring and determined there is a limited opportunity for in-river harvest of this species. We plan to open the river for retention of one hatchery (adipose-clipped) spring Chinook salmon effective tomorrow.

Should you have questions or concerns please email us at willapabay@dfw.wa.gov

Thank You,

#1059793 - 06/02/22 04:03 PM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Rivrguy]
Carcassman Online   content
River Nutrients

Loc: Olema,California,Planet Earth
I was under the impression that there were no (native) (wild) Spring Chinook in Willapa Bay. That being the case, what non-clipped Chinook are they protecting in the river NOW? Just wondering.

#1059794 - 06/02/22 06:48 PM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

I was wondering the same thing, little strange.

June 2, 2022
Willapa River to open for hatchery spring Chinook retention
Action: Opens retention of hatchery Chinook.
Effective date: June 3 through July 31, 2022.
Species affected: Chinook salmon.
Locations and rules: Willapa River (Pacific Co.):
1. From the mouth (City of South Bend boat launch) to WDFW access at mouth of Ward Creek/Wilson Creek: Min. size 12". Daily limit one hatchery (adipose-clipped) Chinook. Release all salmon other than hatchery Chinook. Night closure in effect. Anglers may fish with two poles with Two-pole Endorsement.
2. From the WDFW access at mouth of Ward Creek/Wilson Creek to second bridge on Camp One Rd.: Min. size 12". Daily limit one hatchery (adipose-clipped) Chinook. Release all salmon other than hatchery Chinook. Night closure and stationary gear restriction in effect.
3. From second bridge on Camp One Rd. upstream to mouth of Mill Creek, approx. 0.5 miles: Min. size 12". Daily limit one hatchery (adipose clipped) Chinook. Release all salmon other than hatchery Chinook. Night closure and stationary gear restriction in effect. Fishing from a floating device prohibited.
4. From Mill Creek to Hwy. 6 Bridge near the town of Lebam: Min. size 12". Daily limit one hatchery (adipose clipped) Chinook. Release all salmon other than hatchery Chinook. Night closure and stationary gear restriction in effect.
Reason for action: In an effort to increase prey abundance for Southern Resident Killer Whales, 567,560 spring Chinook salmon were released in May of 2019 from the Fork’s Creek Hatchery. WDFW anticipates a limited number of returning 4-year-old Chinook from this one-time release will be available for a targeted fishery. This is a unique harvest opportunity that won't occur again and fishery managers encourage anglers to harvest those hatchery-origin Chinook that are encountered.
Additional information: Anglers are asked to be respectful of private property along the river. Anglers are reminded to check the Washington Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet for additional rules and seasons.
To stay up to date and receive immediate notification of emergency rules you can sign up for WDFW email notification at: wdfw.wa.gov/about/lists.
Information contact: Region 6 (Montesano office); 360-249-4628

#1059795 - 06/02/22 07:39 PM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Rivrguy]
River Nutrients

Glad I am not the only one who is bewildered. Then, again, it is R6...

#1059796 - 06/02/22 08:05 PM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Rivrguy]
Thumbburner Offline
Alevin

The eggs for these fish came from Kalama River stock.
Anyone know why WDFW only did this for one year?

I suppose the Orcas now have enough food.

Edited by Thumbburner (06/02/22 08:06 PM)

#1059797 - 06/02/22 09:16 PM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Rivrguy]
River Nutrients

Variety of possible reasons. Lack of available eggs, lack of tribal agreement, perhaps something the Leg required.

An out of basin transfer is difficult, requiring a lack of pathogens in the eggs.

#1059798 - 06/03/22 08:27 AM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Rivrguy]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
This program seems a bit confusing, as has been mentioned. However, here are a few potential answers based on my limited knowledge (and some speculation).

Spring Chinook are not native to the Willapa Bay watershed (duh), but WDFW likely got some $$’s from NMFS to raise additional spring Chinook for SRKW production. (As a side note, several Federal/State/Tribal agencies got $$’s from NMFS for the same reason (SRKW’s) over the past couple years.) If WDFW had space and water at the Willapa State hatchery, they could raise springers without affecting native spring Chinook elsewhere. So they took spring Chinook eggs from the Kalama River, and shipped them to Willapa (thus avoiding any problems within the Columbia, particularly for harvest of Snake Rv springers in the Lower Columbia).

I agree the fish health protocols for moving fish between major watersheds is a concern, but it’s not insurmountable. And since springers aren’t native to Willapa, they’re not creating any problems with fish genetics.

The reason they’re marked (ad clip) is that they were raised with Federal dollars (NMFS appropriations). Recall that 15+ years ago, Federal appropriations law requires all fish raised on Federal dollars to be marked (e.g., ad-clipped) before being released (thanks to Rep Norm Dicks). This is a requirement regardless of whether there is a mark-selective fishery, or not.

And once the adult fish have returned to Willapa, they’re no longer needed as SRKW prey (unless SRKW’s enter Willapa Bay, which seems unlikely), or as broodstock since WDFW might not have gotten any Federal $$’s this year.

Thus, WDFW opened a fishery on them.

Edited by cohoangler (06/03/22 09:09 AM)
Edit Reason: typo

#1059799 - 06/03/22 02:22 PM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Rivrguy]
River Nutrients

Thanks for the additional info. But the question still is why there is a mark-elective fishery when there are no wild Springers to protect?

#1059803 - 06/03/22 11:46 PM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Rivrguy]
Krijack Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Tacoma
Could they be worried about early fall fish that might come in the river at the end of the season? Is that a restricted / Hatchery only fishery?

#1059804 - 06/04/22 08:20 AM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Thumbburner]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
06/04/2022

Originally Posted By: Thumbburner
The eggs for these fish came from Kalama River stock.
Anyone know why WDFW only did this for one year?

I suppose the Orcas now have enough food.

Like your use of humor, "I suppose the Orcas now have enough food."

IMO. they're probably more concerned about the turmoil it would cause WDFW...if there developed into a yearly "sport fishing" for springers in a new area, HOW ARE WE GOING TO GET A GILLNET FISHERY INTO A WORKABLE SCHEDULE????

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1059805 - 06/04/22 08:52 AM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Rivrguy]
River Nutrients

That would be a problem if they had "too many" fish come back. That would also mean that the salmon aren't being eaten by the target predators.

But, given the water supplies and temperatures in WB I think they would annually need to import eggs (water too warm to hold adults from arrival to spawning) which would mean (for example) that the Kalama would have to be managed for WB egg needs. I don't think that plane would even get off the ground.

#1059807 - 06/04/22 09:15 AM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Rivrguy]
DrifterWA Offline
River Nutrients

Loc: East of Aberdeen, West of Mont...
06/04/2022

Carcassman..... I realize that, just keep looking for ways to have a "springer fishery" without have to drive 75-100 miles to be able to partake and maybe catch one of these fine eating fish.

Lost chances of a "Wynoochee springer fishery", when the hatchery in the Dam area never got built because of "politics in the mid 70's", grrrrrrrr

"Coulda, shoulda", would have been great water, temperature wise but oh, well!!!

"I thought growing older, would take longer"

#1059808 - 06/04/22 03:05 PM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Rivrguy]
River Nutrients

Well, yeah. WDFW drops more balls than the '62 Mets.

If they really wanted to have a springer fishery in WB, and feed the whales, they could install enough chillers at the Forks Creek Hatchery to use when the water warmed too much in summer. Cost some, yeah. Offer a we don't have to share, we don't **ck up ESA Springers. Yeah.

As I have noted, I was in on the design of that hatchery and had plans ready to go. Then......

#1059810 - 06/05/22 05:31 AM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

CM if you recall it was the lake's very cold water that made it advantageous. Not for incubation but returning adults to hold up in and the Nooch is perfect for that. River is cool enough for returning adults but critical time is in summer waiting to spawn and the lake at the dam could have provided that tool.

You know the only hatchery that can fully support fall Chinook and do it well around here is Forks Creek. The agency instead wants to put out 10 million or so at Naselle to rebuild it. The Naselle is a bad location for a hatchery let alone pour good money after bad to fix it. You cannot fix stupid sometimes.

#1059811 - 06/05/22 08:31 AM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Rivrguy]
River Nutrients

Well, yeah. Nemah and Naselle were, if memory serves, originally for chum. They seem to enjoy putting lipstick on pigs.

Wynoochee would work well for Springs but would conflict with the wild ones in the watershed. Get into the whole protection issue for non-target stocks. WB, with none, would be perfect for producing a spring run for harvest (or whales) only because it would simplify management.

#1059812 - 06/05/22 08:47 AM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Carcassman]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

Yup Chehalis Springers are the key. Small run that cannot support harvest impacts most importantly a net fishery. Things that can be done are not because of harvester marriage to gill nets. So we do the same things over and over again looking for a different outcome. Ya know what Albert said about that.

#1059813 - 06/05/22 09:59 AM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Rivrguy]
Streamer Offline
No Stars for You!

Loc: T-Town
I’ve heard a couple of reports so far of people giving the fishery a try. Everyone reported the same thing. Slow, and not even a fish seen.

Steamy

#1059827 - 06/06/22 08:53 AM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Carcassman]
cohoangler Offline
Three Time Spawner

Loc: Vancouver, Washington
Originally Posted By: Carcassman
Thanks for the additional info. But the question still is why there is a mark-elective fishery when there are no wild Springers to protect?

Not exactly sure but it's likely it was one of those 'strings' attached to the funding. That is, if WDFW takes funding from NMFS for spring Chinook production to help SRKW's, and if there were enough returning adults to open a fishery, NMFS required any subsequent fishery to be mark-select.

But again, that's speculation on my part. I'm not in the loop on this.

#1059828 - 06/06/22 09:31 AM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: cohoangler]
Rivrguy Offline
River Nutrients

In the old Willapa Fall chinook fishery it was thought that the fish were mostly Willapa origin. It was later found to be GH & Columbia fish were present in substantial numbers. I imagine Springers from streams farther down the coast dip in and caution dictates you manage that way with C&R to reduce any wild impacts on the southern bound fish. My two bits.

#1059830 - 06/06/22 10:53 AM Re: Willapa Springers ? [Re: Rivrguy]
River Nutrients

It's a river fishery. Having said that, the Cowlitz Hatchery folks told me (while I was still gainfully employed) that they had recycled an ad-clipped Springer. Apparently they also tagged it so it could be identified in the catch. It was recovered at a hatchery in BC and when the tag was read it was found to have been from that hatchery. So, I guess they do into FW, but no springer in its right mind would go up the Willapa unless it had a death before spawning wish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Search

Site Links
Home
Our Washington Fishing
Our Alaska Fishing
Reports
Rates
Contact Us
About Us
Recipes
Photos / Videos
Visit us on Facebook
Today's Birthdays
3Gonads, herm
Recent Gallery Pix
hatchery steelhead
Hatchery Releases into the Pacific and Harvest
Who's Online
0 registered (), 947 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John Boob, Lawrence, I'm Still RichG, feyt, Freezeout
11498 Registered Users
Top Posters
Todd 28170
Dan S. 17149
Sol Duc 16138
The Moderator 14486
Salmo g. 13520
eyeFISH 12766
STRIKE ZONE 12107
Dogfish 10979
ParaLeaks 10513
Jerry Garcia 9160
Forum Stats
11498 Members
16 Forums
63773 Topics
645290 Posts

Max Online: 3001 @ 01/28/20 02:48 PM

Join the PP forums.

It's quick, easy, and always free!

Working for the fish and our future fishing opportunities:

The Wild Steelhead Coalition

The Photo & Video Gallery. Nearly 1200 images from our fishing trips! Tips, techniques, live weight calculator & more in the Fishing Resource Center. The time is now to get prime dates for 2018 Olympic Peninsula Winter Steelhead , don't miss out!.

| HOME | ALASKA FISHING | WASHINGTON FISHING | RIVER REPORTS | FORUMS | FISHING RESOURCE CENTER | CHARTER RATES | CONTACT US | WHAT ABOUT BOB? | PHOTO & VIDEO GALLERY | LEARN ABOUT THE FISH | RECIPES | SITE HELP & FAQ |